Author Topic: Ash Vacuum  (Read 1990 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ash Vacuum
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
After a few cooks in my new Pit Barrel Cooker, I've decided that I'm going to be using this thing a lot. The one thing I don't dig about the PBC is tipping the barrel over to clean the ashes out after each cook. From past experience, I know that using a regular shop vac for ashes can be a challenge (such as: filter not fine enough causing a nasty ash-cloud).

I've been in the market for a new shop vac anyway, and I came across this beastie: PowerSmith PAVC101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum

http://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PAVC101-Amp-Ash-Vacuum/dp/B0060EUA32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422552268&sr=8-1&keywords=ash+vacuum

Anyone have experience with this or other "ash vacuums"?

Looks like it would double up as a general purpose shop vac, so it might help with the wife's objections to "you're gonna buy ANOTHER BBQ thingie?"
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Ash Vacuum
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Ron - I bought one virtually identical to the one in the link. DO NOT use it with warm ashes of course...But, the real disappointment is that it doesn't have enough suction to be very good. Truth is - the best for cold ash removal I have found yet is about $20 bucks  and it fits on a 5 gal. plastic bucket. - at Lowe's see link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49940-20097-6004511_0__

I tried a similar one from HD - and it worked too - but was not as convenient due to the location of the hose attachment. I highly recommend buying the extra long hose accessory kit.... it allows me to leave the vac on the ground, and clean out the pit - it gives you a full 6'' of reach.
The paper/tyvek pre filters are cheap and easy to change, and - they do not allow ash/ash dust thru.

Hope this helps-
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
I think the one Tee showed would be good. Mine is a cheapy about 2 gal. I got at lowes but I don't see them any more. I use it only for the ashes in my pellet smoker. I like the small size and the filter will need cleaned long before it fills with ashes. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »
... or you could go REALLY cheap (like I do) and just line the bottom of the barrel with foil and lift it out when cold.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
... or you could go REALLY cheap (like I do) and just line the bottom of the barrel with foil and lift it out when cold.

X2!

Actually, not sure how cheap that ends up being - but it sure works well...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »
I bought this one (or one that looks like it) at Costco for about $40.  I only use it for ash from my pellet pit and PBC.  It sucks well.  The bags are also the filter.  I only empty it when it gets uncomfortable to carry.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »
I bought this one (or one that looks like it) at Costco for about $40.  I only use it for ash from my pellet pit and PBC.  It sucks well.  The bags are also the filter.  I only empty it when it gets uncomfortable to carry.

me too.  same thing.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »
I just use the mini wall mountable shop vac brand. Works fine. I only use it for ash and it is very easy to carry!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

Do what the turtle says, I have been doing the foil thing since day 1 of PBC ownership, nice easy clean-up
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32