Author Topic: Dickey's BBQ  (Read 8441 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Dickey's BBQ
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
Told my daughter about Smoke's visit to the pit. Asked if I could visit the pit at her Famous Dave's - she said she would check with her manager tonight at work and let me know - said it was pretty cool.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
They don't have any local to me but surprisingly they just built one in Palmdale of all places. I have seen their commercials but have not tried it yet. I no longer live in the Antelope Valley so I would need to make a special trip just to try it.

Mike

Dont waste your time or $, you can make 1000x better bbq.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 08:26:50 PM »
Each location in any chain can vary in quality of product. But, most of the Dickey's I have eaten at were good - for commercial BBQ.

Having said that - yes, most of us can and do make better BBQ at home. We have the tools, the know how, a support system ( LTBBQ ;D ) and...as much time as we want. Commercial BBQ has limits. Time, and cost to produce the finished product.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Well put Tee. I was impressed with the Dickey's I was at because I wasn't planning on being impressed  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
Nice write up Smoke. I was happy to see a positive assessment.
Recently I saw someone I have had respect for in the past bash them very unreasonably on FB.
 So many "Food Writers" act like they expect these places to be turning out over the top high end products.
 Kerry and I eat at the new local Dickeys every couple weeks as they have a reasonable lunch special.
 for about $8 you can get a decent lunch rather than many of the other options out there that are just crap food for the same price.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
We had Dickey's about 2 miles from here.  They were only open a short time.  Deb & I tried it one time.

I remember watching the counter guy prep my pulled pork sammie.  He grabbed a handful and weighed it.  Then he formed it into a ball on the cutting board and pressed and pressed it into the shape of a hamburger patty.  I watched the juice run out onto the cutting board.  It looked good, but it was too dry to eat without some sauce.  I tried to engage him in some BBQ talk since nobody else was in the store, but he wasn't interested.
I guess why that one is closed.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
Just goes to show you that in a chain of stores...all Que is not created equal..... :'(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
Just goes to show you that in a chain of stores...all Que is not created equal..... :'(

Same with any "chain" - food or otherwise. It is down to the local manager and staff. I've been in the cleaning business for way too many years. The largest company in the US (over $1B) still varies from branch to branch. Just the way it is.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »
The Original Dickey's were very good but I'm afraid they've franchised out too much I haven't found one in years here in Texas that I would eat at. If I'm in the San Antonio - Austin corridor and want chain BBQ I am never disappointed with Bill Miller's and now they even have breakfast taco's including egg and their smoked sausage or carne guisada  San Antonio style. I'm glad you found a good one, hope it stays that way.

Offline Hub

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
We have a Dickey's BBQ in Hickory.  In fact, Tim, Hub and I ate there about 2 weeks ago.  We have eaten there several times.  The only thing Hub doesn't like is the Texas Pete hot sauce they put out.  Other than that, it's decent commercial BBQ.

Art

Pretty decent restaurant BBQ!  If you want hot sauce you need to take your own, though.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »
Thanks for posting the review.  I have seen a couple of Dicky's restaurants around but have never tried them.  I am moving that up on the priority list!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
of course a lot of food suffers at the airport.
  & people too ;) ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »
I was shocked there is one in Yonkers NY a little over an hour from here...next time I go down that way...will give it a try
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Susie-Que

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
I was reading the OP and for my life couldn't figure out who Sammie was.   Maybe I should go to the doctor after all since I have been sick for the last few days.   ::)

There is a Dickies close to me that is a dismal little place that has terrible side dishes. BBQ sandwich there is ok.

A decent BBQ restaurant would be gold. Why it is so difficult is beyond me.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
I promise to y'all That I will never franchise Backyard Jack's Barbecue of Byron...STILL locally owned and operated
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!