Author Topic: best choice of thermometer for my buck  (Read 3125 times)

Offline dane2992

best choice of thermometer for my buck
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:21:50 AM »
So would like some helpful info on thermometers. Saw mavericks 735 and igrillĀ² but don't own any "I" products. Let me get some opinions! Thanks in advance..

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: best choice of thermometer for my buck
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
Well I own a couple of Mavericks, igrill, and a Tappecue.

Of those three my favorite is my Tappecue.

But it is the most expensive.

If you have wifi at home and money is not a factor get the Tappecue.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dane2992

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
Yea I can't afford tappeque at this time. Looking for something in the ball park of $50-100

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
I have a older single probe Maverick Reddi Check ET 71 that I have had for years. I don't think they make it anymore. Some folks seem to have probe problems, but I have never had a problem and I use it quite a lot.I did put a piece of shrink tube over the cable/probe. I have been thinking of getting a new Maverick ET 733 with dual probes ...$69.99 at Amazon . Hope this helps..

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:34:19 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
Polder is a solid performer and is in your price range (amazon has em and replacement probes)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
Perhaps the discussion will be more helpful for you, if we consider the 2 kinds of digital thermometers commonly used:

1. Instant Read: these can be very useful once you gain some familiarity with how you pit cooks, and you only need to check a couple of times. I use a Taylor 1488  http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/thermometers/digital-thermometer-with-folding-probe.html  These can be had at Lowe's for under $20 bucks and they are fairly fast, the probe folds away for safety and no "sleeve" to lose. The screen is back-light so, checking temps. even in the dark is easy.

2. Constant Read: The most popular ones in your price range are probably from Maverick. The Model #735 is a bluetooth model, and is a dual probe unit so it monitors the pit temp, and the meat temp - and you use your phone as the receiver for data. Check the compatibility with your phone in the list from Maverick:  http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-et-735-bluetooth-thermometer-white/

The old Maverick "standard" used most often in BBQ comps. is the Model # 732  http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-732-black-wireless-barbecue-thermometer-set/ And Maverick Model # 733  http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-733-black-wireless-food-thermometer-set/  which offers a little more data - and larger screen.

In either case - foo yourself a favor, and shop for the 6 foot probe wire sets - rather than the standard 3 ft. ones. They are out there. You may need to do some on-line hunting - but that extra 3 feet of probe ware allows you to put the unit at a safe distance from heat, and give you the luxury of more flexible placement of the meat/probe.
Let us know what you decide!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline dane2992

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »
I have a older single probe Maverick Reddi Check ET 71 that I have had for years. I don't think they make it anymore. Some folks seem to have probe problems, but I have never had a problem and I use it quite a lot.I did put a piece of shrink tube over the cable/probe. I have been thinking of getting a new Maverick ET 733 with dual probes ...$69.99 at Amazon . Hope this helps..
Thanks for the info. I was looking at a few of the maverick models same for thermapen as well.
Perhaps the discussion will be more helpful for you, if we consider the 2 kinds of digital thermometers commonly used:

1. Instant Read: these can be very useful once you gain some familiarity with how you pit cooks, and you only need to check a couple of times. I use a Taylor 1488  http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/thermometers/digital-thermometer-with-folding-probe.html  These can be had at Lowe's for under $20 bucks and they are fairly fast, the probe folds away for safety and no "sleeve" to lose. The screen is back-light so, checking temps. even in the dark is easy.

2. Constant Read: The most popular ones in your price range are probably from Maverick. The Model #735 is a bluetooth model, and is a dual probe unit so it monitors the pit temp, and the meat temp - and you use your phone as the receiver for data. Check the compatibility with your phone in the list from Maverick:  http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-et-735-bluetooth-thermometer-white/

The old Maverick "standard" used most often in BBQ comps. is the Model # 732  http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-732-black-wireless-barbecue-thermometer-set/ And Maverick Model # 733  http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-733-black-wireless-food-thermometer-set/  which offers a little more data - and larger screen.

In either case - foo yourself a favor, and shop for the 6 foot probe wire sets - rather than the standard 3 ft. ones. They are out there. You may need to do some on-line hunting - but that extra 3 feet of probe ware allows you to put the unit at a safe distance from heat, and give you the luxury of more flexible placement of the meat/probe.
Let us know what you decide!
T

Offline dane2992

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
So I ended up deciding on the maverick et-732 and also ordered a 6ft food probe

Offline dane2992

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »
So I ended up deciding on the maverick et-732 and also ordered a 6ft food probe
Well guess I'm hitting up Lowes for a thermometer since mine won't arrive til Saturday possibly Monday.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
There are many good choices available to us today, you have mad a couple of good ones. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »
The Maverick Et-732 is hard to beat!  I've had one for a few years now.  The range is great, and I've only had to change the batteries once.

Where it fails is in programing the alarms. That part is a bit of a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it's OK.

As far as getting something now to get you by...  Head to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. They have a basic inexpensive (around $15) thermometer with a probe that's fine.  It doesn't have bluetooth remote and only one probe, but they work and are nice to have as a spare.

For instant read thermometers, I like the DeltaTRAK brand. I have the 11063 model. It's plenty fast enough, very accurate, has the thinner step-down style probe (like the more expensive brands), priced around $17 - $20 and it is NSF approved! They are what my wife says Wal-Mart uses in their deli for taking temps to keep the health inspectors happy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:30:01 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline dane2992

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
The Maverick Et-732 is hard to beat!  I've had one for a few years now.  The range is great, and I've only had to change the batteries once.

Where it fails is in programing the alarms. That part is a bit of a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it's OK.

As far as getting something now to get you by...  Head to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. They have a basic inexpensive (around $15) thermometer with a probe that's fine.  It doesn't have bluetooth remote and only one probe, but they work and are nice to have as a spare.

For instant read thermometers, I like the DeltaTRAK brand. I have the 11063 model. It's plenty fast enough, very accurate, has the thinner step-down style probe (like the more expensive brands), priced around $17 - $20 and it is NSF approved! They are what my wife says Wal-Mart uses in their deli for taking temps to keep the health inspectors happy.
I wish the maverick was coming tomorrow or Friday morning, but FedEx smart post hands it off to the local post office to deliver. I'll get the chargrill thermometer that has the one probe at lowes