Author Topic: Samlex 600 Watt Power Inverter  (Read 1084 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Samlex 600 Watt Power Inverter
« Reply #-1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
A few months ago I got serious about finding a good reliable 12 v DC to 120 V AC power inverter so I could run the MAK off a 12 volt battery for the times when getting power is difficult. BUT... I also didn't want to break the bank doing this either!

Let me preface this by saying I was NOT going to chance harming the MAK controller, by using a lesser expensive Modified Sine Wave inverter.  Trust me, I almost ruined a sound amplifier by doing that - never again!

A good heavily-built Pure Sine Wave inverter, with a decent warranty, is the way to go.

The MAK power usage is:

Start up: 137W, 1.2A.
Running: 62W, 0.54A

After a LOT of research, looking at specs, user reviews, etc., I finally settled on a:

Samlex 600 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
model: PST-600-12

List price: $265  - but can be found for around $210

Basic Specs:
1,000 watt surge / 600 Watts continuous
Total Harmonic Distortion < 3%
Peek Efficiency 85%
Warranty: 2 years

It was a little more pricey than comparable brands (they run about $210), but it's specs & ratings were higher, and customer reviews everywhere I could find were better than other brands.

After it arrived I was immediately impressed with how heavily built it was. I made up a set of heavy 4 gauge cables (per the manufacturers recommendations) hooked them up and then tested it. Multi-meter showed 120 VAC like it should.

Next, we plugged in & powered up the MAK and set it for high and let it run for a good 20 minutes.  So far so good, but how will it do for a long cook?

A couple days later a friend needed 15 lbs of pulled pork for a bridal shower - PERFECT FOR A GOOD TEST!

After making sure my marine battery was charged up, we loaded the pork butts onto the MAK and away we went.

This is a dual purpose Marine Battery rated at 115 Amp Hours.

After about 8 hours of running continuously it ran perfectly as hoped, and the battery still showed about 11.5 volts, which is about what I expected. By my estimates, as long as the ignitor doesn't run a lot, the MAK should run for a good 16 hours or so on a single 115 AH battery.

The only thing left is to get a in-line fuse to guard against a battery short.

Now I can take the MAK and cook anywhere whether there is power or not!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Samlex 600 Watt Power Inverter
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »
I have a couple for when I went camping and used to run my Traeger junior and now the PTG with one. Never had any issues.

Great review Cliff and good info.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
Thanks for posting your review.  Pure sine wave inverters are initially more expensive but if you are going to run anything with solid state electronic circuitry they're worth it. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Nice,keep us updated over the years please.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
Good Review, Thanks Cliff
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »

Add a solar panel/battery charger from Harbor Freight, and you'll be running day & night!   Sorta......