Author Topic: Share your favorite recipe or tip about Pellet Grilling!  (Read 943 times)

Offline GrillGirl@cookinpellets

Share your favorite recipe or tip about Pellet Grilling!
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »
Show and Tell! Share your favorite recipe or tip about Pellet Grilling!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
My tip is to always clean your pellet grill before doing a high heat cook!  ??? I learned the hard way!
But luckily it didn't hurt my pellet grill or the food that was on it. But sure was a pretty grease fire!  8)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Share your favorite recipe or tip about Pellet Grilling!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Get to know your pit and it's quirks/personality. This includes any hot-spots, and at what temps it produces good smoke. Be prepared to augment that smoke if needed with any of the smoke generator's on the market. Store your pellets indoors - in the dry.
Foil your drip pan for easier cleanup. Un plug your grill if it is not going to be in use for a while. This allows the computer chip to reset itself. And - it helps prevent any damage from stray voltage if you have lightning in the area. And - put a high quality cover on it when it is not in use!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
Don't get all uptight about temperature swings when you're smoking meat on a pellet cooker.  Depending on the design and the type of controller there will always be some in order to create alternating pellet dumps, then smolders when the most smoke happens.  These are most common, on most cookers, when operating below 300 degrees.  It is the average temperature that counts and most controllers track pretty close but some may or may not show the swings.  Swings of up to 50 degrees both ways aren't unheard of and won't do any harm if you know what is going on.  Some cookers will also cycle the convection fan off and on or from fast to slow to assist in this process along with frequent or less frequent auger times.   Don't second guess your cooker -- learn what it is doing  ;D

If you are converting from another cooking fuel (especially sticks or charcoal) to pellets, modify your recipes to spend a bit more time in the 180-200 degree area.  This will induce more smokiness.

Finally, please read the Pellet Cooking 101 articles I've posted in my section here.  There are two of them and they are designed to both help you understand how pellets cook, and how to cook with pellets.  PM me if I may be of any assistance.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
Don't assume that your pellets are funneling down right.  Nothing like having your auger running with a void over top of the shoot and a bunch of pellets clinking to the wall and then your temps dropping and a need to re-primer the firebox.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline GrillGirl@cookinpellets

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
These are all great tips!