Author Topic: Austin trip  (Read 32111 times)

Offline muralboy

Austin trip
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
Hey gang.

Holidays are over which means time to hit the road again. Heading to Austin in the morning and on my own for Monday night. Staying in the conventional hall area without transportation. Any restaurant recommendations?

Ahh, the life of traveling for business
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Pappymn

Austin trip
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »
Franklin BBQ is the best. Timing is everything to getting in.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muralboy

Re: Austin trip
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
i know thats a problem since traveling on business.  looking for dinner suggestions
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
Micklethwait Craft Meats on Rosewood market. Get the beef short ribs.
It's a small place but probably better than Franklin's.  Yeah I said it.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:57:17 AM »
muralboy, Ironworks BarBQ is right across the street from the convention center. Before Franklin's and Meuller's and all the "young guns" that popped up in Austin in the last few years, Ironworks BBQ was Austin's closest thing to central Texas BBQ like that served in Lockhart, Luling, Elgin, and Taylor. It has always been good BBQ. I know that it has been there since the late sixties.

Now just about 3 or 4 blocks south from the convention center on Rainey Street is a brand new place called Bangor's Sausage House and Beer Garden. If you like chacuterie, this is the place to eat. Everything is made right there and the selection of sausages and meats is incredible. Would be a great place to try if you like that sort of thing. I know a few people here on the forum who would go crazy in that place. It is excellent.

I know that Franklin's BBQ is almost impossible to get in, but one of his major new competitors is La Barbecue and is only half the distance if you are walking, taking a taxi, or taking a pedicab. It is on 6th street a couple of blocks east of the interstate for a total of 7 or 8 blocks away from the convention center. Franklin's is on 11th directly north of La Barbeque. By the way, the convention Center is on 1st Street (renamed Cesar Chavez).

Austin is the music capital of Texas. If you are still there on Tuesday evening, take a taxi down South Lamar Blvd to the Broken Spoke for the best chicken fried steak in Texas, a Lone Star, and a dance with a pretty cowgirl. It is known as the best honky tonk in Texas. After you finish eatin', drinkin', and dancin', visit the room called the Texas Hall of Fame and Tourist Trap where they have pictures and items in a museum like setting of virtually everybody in country music that has ever played at the Spoke for the last 50 years including Willie, Elvis, Bob Wills, etc. You might even see a picture of a member of this forum hanging on the wall there....Just sayin'.

Have fun in Austin.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
I was going to recommend Stiles Switch, but Monday is the one day they are closed.  Louie Mueller in Taylor is worth the trip but only open until 6:00.  The "without transportation" thing puts a damper on things for sure.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
" You might even see a picture of a member of this forum hanging on the wall there....Just sayin'.
"

Don...do they still have that picture of you when you played with the Geezer Slaw Brothers? ;D

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muralboy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - the dinner winner was Ironworks.  Easy walk from the hotel.

Had the sampler platter - brisket, sausage and beef ribs.  Down right tasty.  Brisket was like butter...tender and juicy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
Very cool.This has to be the only place on the web that can take care of your dinner while traveling,well done!  :)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:07 AM »

Don...do they still have that picture of you when you played with the Geezer Slaw Brothers? ;D

Better watch out, Tim. The last time somebody mispronounced the name, people got fired.... Oh, I remember now. It was us.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:32:11 AM by IR2dum »

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
Sorry to be a little late to the game on this one, but thought I would give my 2 cents for the next trip. You got the best advice on easy to get to BBQ in Austin, although I think Franklin's has become much more hype than good eats over time. If you are back in Austin and near the capitol and Italian sounds good you might try this one http://www.quattrogattiaustin.com/ we found it by accident recently and it was pretty amazing.