Author Topic: Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce  (Read 28663 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce
« Reply #-1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
Never canned anything before, I always used a vacuum sealer for most stuff but found a need for canned spaghetti sauce.

Now, watched a  few videos on You-Tube but got more confused then before I watched them.  Plan is to can/bottle about 8 qt's or so and this way when I get my back or knee surgeries Ill have homemade sauce ready (can't stand the store stuff)  :P :P :P   

Plan is to water bath type canning.  Has anyone done this?  Any helpful hints and or resources you know of?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Help needed for canning spaghetti sauce
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
Tommy..get the Ball canning book, it has everything you need to know plus a bunch of recipe, or use your own recipe for sauce. I have never done tomatoes but it can't be any harder than anythign else..I did 6 quarts of sauerkraut today. You will need jars - quart sized is best, lids and rings. A lifter to take jars out of the bath. A funnel, you can buy this all in a set, not too $$$$Y, jars will be the most, get wide mouth jars, easier to pack. Call me if you need more help.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
Tommy..get the Ball canning book, it has everything you need to know plus a bunch of recipe, or use your own recipe for sauce. I have never done tomatoes but it can't be any harder than anythign else..I did 6 quarts of sauerkraut today. You will need jars - quart sized is best, lids and rings. A lifter to take jars out of the bath. A funnel, you can buy this all in a set, not too $$$$Y, jars will be the most, get wide mouth jars, easier to pack. Call me if you need more help.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Sounds good Pam thanks.  Got a little spending $$$ for my birthday and may go this weekend and get a few things

I'll call if I need something
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
I have done tomatoes many times, and this is the way to go.  I used to go to a U-Pick field in the morning, and then go to a County Extension Cannery to finish up.  These are not around any more.  It is like Pam said, get a book, crush them up a bit in a pot and boil, then heat them up in the jar with a water bath for the time stated, take out and cool.  when the lids pop, you know that you have a good seal.  They store very well, but you will probably use them before too long.  If you already have the sauce(gravy) made, just use the same method heating up in a water bath.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »
YEAH..what cookie said and put the date on the lids too..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
Thanks for the info guys,  one guy I talked with said if the sauce has meat in it I have to pressure can the sauce not water bath.

I have a lot to study it seems but that's half the fun!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »
Tommy..I don't like canning meat, personal preference...cut an X in the bottom of the maters then dip tomatoes in boiling water for about 45 seconds, take out and put in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes in it to stop the cooking. Let sit for a minute and skins will peel right off. So easy.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:34:19 AM »
Tommy..I don't like canning meat, personal preference...cut an X in the bottom of the maters then dip tomatoes in boiling water for about 45 seconds, take out and put in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes in it to stop the cooking. Let sit for a minute and skins will peel right off. So easy.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
I like meat sauce and the idea was to can the meat sauce, now canning non-meat sauce would work with a water bath but I'm a meat guy  ;)

May just stick to freezing then vacuum sealing, sounds like the easiest way just got to figure on how to fill the bags without getting sauce all over the top where the seal is.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
May just stick to freezing then vacuum sealing, sounds like the easiest way just got to figure on how to fill the bags without getting sauce all over the top where the seal is.

Just fill your jerky gun(if you got one) full of sauce and shoot the sauce into the bottom of the bag then seal...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
Tommy whenever I want to vac-seal anything with liquid in it, I fold back a 2" - 3" collar on the bag, place the bag in a square storage container (Tupperware/Rubbermaid etc.) fill bag to predetermined level and place all on a tray and place in freezer until solid enough to vac-seal.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »
Tommy..Ball makes a ziploc bag holder for quart or gallon size bags..about $3 where they sell Ball canning stuff..it stands up and stays there so you can fill it. I use it a lot when I grind my sausages and for liquid stuff. very handy. I hooks zipper on the sides so it stays upright.

.☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »
Neat thanks Pam!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,  one guy I talked with said if the sauce has meat in it I have to pressure can the sauce not water bath.

Yes,meat requires pressure canning.If you want to get into this get an All American canner and you will have it in family for generations,it uses no gaskets.Its the best,and it costs like it,you can do this a lot cheaper if you want.

We have the 921,make sure it isnt too tall for your stove.They run around 200 bucks.

When you are doings soups,chili,meats,mustard,on and on,it will grow on you having food you made not loaded with chemicals...its a good thing.Its also time consuming so consider that.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:22:52 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

Yes,meat requires pressure canning.If you want to get into this get an All American canner and you will have it in family for generations,it uses no gaskets.Its the best,and it costs like it,you can do this a lot cheaper if you want.

We have the 921,make sure it isnt too tall for your stove.They run around 200 bucks.

When you are doings soups,chili,meats,mustard,on and on,it will grow on you having food you made not loaded with chemicals...its a good thing.Its also time consuming so consider that.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm
Thanks for the heads up Spuds.  But the more I look into this vacuum sealing seems to be the best option for now.   Jut would not do enough canning to justify the cost.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
Tommy..this is what I have, had it for over a year now and it's fantastic, I make all kinds of things in it..mashed potatoes, potato salad, hard boiled eggs, meats etc. Plus it does pressure cannign and is also a slow cooker. Price is reasonable for all that it does. 

http://www.qvc.com/Power-Pressure-Cooker-XL-Plus-6-qt.-Digital-w.product.K41645.html?upsh=1&sc=K41645-CSWB

.☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi