Author Topic: Failed Attempt at Kabobs....  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Failed Attempt at Kabobs....
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
I attempted my first go at Kabobs this weekend.  It did not turn out as I hoped.

My daughter requested Hawaiian kabobs and I failed to remember my previous failed beef/pineapple attempt.  However, she has Mono so I decided to go for it.

I marinated the steak and pineapple in a mixture of soy sauce, frozen OJ concentrate and molasses and ginger. I did the veggies in a balsamic vinegar that we really enjoy.  I cooked the beef and pineapple on the same skewers on the TBE.  The veggies went on the grill.  Turned out, I only had 4 of the kabob holders that hang down in the basket - so that is all I could do at one time. 

Veggies turned out good.  However, the meat had a weird consistency.  Apparently, the acid in pineapple breaks down the meat to the point that it has a mealy texture.  It tasted fine, but the mouth feel was really bad.  The kids barely ate any of the beef.  I did have some beef left over and cooked it with the remainder of the veggies in the TBE.  That was better and I got a decent char on the beef.  However, the meat was overcooked.

What did I learn?
1)  Never cook beef and pineapple together!
2)  I need to figure out the timing for the kabobs.
3)  I need to buy some of the stand up kabob holders for the TBE.  The hanging down do a decent job- except most of the meat and pineapple fell off the skewers and dropped into the bottom of the basket.

I have to switch computers to download the pictures , but realistically not much to see on them.  My other cook this weekend was in the smoker and that should result in some decent pictures (but that is a different topic!)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Failed Attempt at Kabobs....
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
How long did the meat marinate ??    Pineapple will kill meat very fast due to high acid   

I did this once and learned never to marinate meat for no more than 30 mins.   Taste like bad saw dust if in pineapple juice to long
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
How long did the meat marinate ??    Pineapple will kill meat very fast due to high acid   

I did this once and learned never to marinate meat for no more than 30 mins.   Taste like bad saw dust if in pineapple juice to long

I like that description, yeah - that about describes it - wet saw dust...

Probably a couple of hours.  I am used to marinating with Italian dressing.  My previous attempt was something that sounds good - a pineapple stuffed beef roast.  But, you can guess the result - not real edible.

Next time, back to what I know...

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
Just remember any meat that is in contact with a high acid food  will break down real fast.

Keep cooking and post results!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muralboy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
If you learned something - it's not a complete fail.
Keep Calm And Smoke On