Author Topic: Hanging a Pork Butt...in the Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 22946 times)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Hanging a Pork Butt...in the Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Wow! That beats the heck out of the overnighters in my Bradley and pooper. How's the bark, since you foiled it? Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Hanging a Pork Butt...in the Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
Nice job Smoke, looks like an excellent smoke-N-Q :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
The bark got soft being in the foil but I am Ok with that...I gotta nother 11 lbs in the freeze and that one will not be foiled at all!!

The PBC eliminates overnight cooks alltogether...In fact you can sleep in and still have your meat ready at suppertime and it truly is set it and forget it!!  I was putting up Christmas Decorations while the PBC worked its smokey magic!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
Looks good Smoke!

But I just can't sacrifice bark like that! Look forward to seeing the unfoiled one ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
Look at the pull back on that bone & the bark. NICE!!!

"Pit Barrel Pork Butt" Now that has a nice rhyme to it!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Sam3

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:50 AM »
Thanks for that tuturiol with the PBC. I like how quickly you can cook a butt like that!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sambbq

• Sam's NW BBQ Co.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
Great cook and photos!  I enjoyed :P
Sam

MAK 2 Star
YODER YS480
YODER Wichita Offset Smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I like that idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Do you think this may work with a WSM, too?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
The PBC is a power cooker, where the WSM is geared more towards the traditional lo and slo WC  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
Received my PBC on Thursday - but was working. Didn't get to try it till last night. My oldest daughter's boyfriend loves pulled pork so I decided that would be the first cook. I planned to follow PBC's instructions for the first cook. Of course, things went off the rails pretty quickly...

I do a lot of grilling, but have never been a "big meat" guy. So I went to my regular grocer / meat guy and asked for a pork shoulder. Didn't look at it till it was time to prep - it was a pork arm picnic... what is that? Well, in for a penny, in for a pound... in this case about 6 of them.

Then, I made the mistake of telling my wife what I was doing... she assumed I bought too much (don't know WHERE she gets these ideas...) and invited her parents, a sister, sister's daughter and sister's daughter's boyfriend as well as a variety of "hockey moms" that hang out with her sister...

Decided I better make a few more biscuits, tater tots, beans, corn on the cob, salad, and coleslaw...

Rubbed the meat with grapeseed oil and Johnny's Rub (per my brother Duff's suggestion.) Hooked and hung over the pre-lit coals. Set a timer for 3 hours - but decided to check at about 2.5 hours - already 170* (I was aiming for 150 - 160*.)

Pulled and wrapped with a half cup of Grain Belt Nordeast. Put on the grate and let it go. Another hour and a half we were at 192*. Pulled and let rest for about another 90 minutes - waiting for everyone to show up and sides to be cooked.

As everything was done, I unwrapped the pork and pulled the bone - slick & clean as a whistle! Used the "bear claws" to pull. Little to no bark as I had it foiled for so long. But (sorry muebe) I am not a big "bark" guy, so this was perfect for me. Served as is with BBQ sauces on the side. It was like a herd of locusts came through - nothing left!

I did get to try some on a biscuit with a little coleslaw myself - went with no sauce just to get a feel for the flavor - oh my goodness... I see this being a regular in my house!

Thanks Smoke, Noah, and Amber - one of the best cooking investments I've made!

Cheers,

David

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:47:10 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
Great story D!!! Nothing like a house full of people over when you are trying out a new pit!!!!  With the PBC everything comes out perfect with that old fashioned Grandpa pit flavor.

There really is nothing on the market right now like it and I urge everyone to get one!!!!

So does the Unofficial Pit Barrel Cooker mascot:  Pit Barrel Smoochy!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
smoochy is one smart little guy!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sam3

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
The PBC definitely has my attention. I love PP but don't make enough of it. I generally make it in my Char Broil Beesr, because it's quick. But I'm only limited to making one at a time. I really don't want to do the WSM overnight thing.  ???
Hmm...
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Hanging a Pork Butt...in the Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
That turned out great. Looking forward to ordering mine :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
The PBC definitely has my attention. I love PP but don't make enough of it. I generally make it in my Char Broil Beesr, because it's quick. But I'm only limited to making one at a time. I really don't want to do the WSM overnight thing.  ???
Hmm...

I love my SRG too Sam....But, for pulled pork...IMHO...nothing but time matters. All of the connective tissues, collagens and fats need time to break down, liquify, and tenderize/moisturize the meat to their maximum potential.And higher temp at shorter time does not seem to be an equal trade in this respect. Of all the pork I have tasted, and/or cooked myself - I still prefer that which has been cooked longer, and at a lower temp. for really -2 reasons. First, the above diatribe ;D about all of the components of the shoulder or boston butt as above ;D...and - the other thing is that when we use infrared, it does limit a bit the types of rubs one can use. Many of the popular rubs for pork have some sugars in them. The temps achieved in the SRG/Big Easy will carbonize, and burn/blacken those sugars on the pork. And - that does not taste like what we were hoping ;D

Not a knock of the SRG or Big Easy/BEESR. I own them - and love them. But there are certain tools that I am more comfortable with for cooking certain types of meat :)

T

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401