Author Topic: Got a package today  (Read 1270 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Got a package today
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »
Jumbo size Super Pig Bacon Rub from Tee and the igrill thermometer from Eric...

Here is what is contained in the box...

In go the batteries in the back. Has a Celsius/Fahrenheit switch at the back...

Built-in kick stand...

Downloaded the iPad app from the app store...

Turned on the iPad Bluetooth and it found the iGrill without issue and connected first try...

Time to test the probes in some ice water...

All good!

Appears that the app has some nice functions...

Complete user manual, videos on using the igrill, graphing functions, alarms, timers, and even recipes all on the app. I will add to this thread my thoughts of the iGrill as I use it. 
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Got a package today
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
Looking forward to your future posts and your impressions on this product. I have been interested in somebody here putting it through he paces.  Nice score!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Kora Smoker

Re: Got a package today
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
Nice new toy, and I'm with Pappy, I wanna see how it works.  8)
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
So I did my first cook using the iGrill. It was a Turkey in my Memphis. Was easily able to start graphing the cook with one button. After you are done there is an option to export the graph to a PDF file format or Excel format. I exported it to PDF. You can also e-mail it directly from export. I tested it by e-mailing it to myself with no issues. I edited it with MS paint to add the words and cropped it to fit one screen....

The graph automatically inputs the proper time you start it. You can pinch/zoom the graph on the fly while it is graphing. Very nice feature that is well implemented. Pretty cool to see a real time graph of your cooks. Something that was only available on a stoker is now available for much less than a stoker.

You can set individual alarms for each probe. You can put a custom alarm or choose from many pre-set alarms for different meats. They are divided into different categories and are very simple to use. Looks like they have a temp setting for pretty much every type of meat or fish you can think of. The iPad will notify you of an alarm and so will the iGrill unit outside both visually and audible.

It comes with two meat probes but I used one of the meat probes to measure grill temps. It was pretty accurate in doing that. Also each probe can be assigned a name for the cook. Makes it easy to identify what temps are what with a quick visual look at the app.

I did not test distance outside but it works through the entire house with no problems. No loss of connection and the app runs even when dropped down in the background.

The app does show the battery life of the iGrill receiver when you press the settings tab but does not appear to show it on the regular screen. It should show it all the time when connected to it IMHO. And even an hours left runtime meter would be nice. I am sure this can be easily added to a software update in the future(hope they read this).

The app gives you all kinds of videos to watch and access to recipes. You can upload your current temps on the fly to Facebook or twitter. Might be a good feature if you could have it up load to those accounts every 10 minutes to check on you cook if you are away from your house. I am sure that can be done with an update. Or even set up to send you a text message since the iPad has a app to send out text messages. The possibilities are endless I imagine.

One complaint about the iGrill is that the unit itself does not feel very durable. The plastic feels thin. I would worry more about dropping it unlike the ET-732 receiver. Also the stand also acts like a hook so there is no stopping point so receiver can slip down and lay flat if not properly positioned on the shelf. And the stand feels like thin plastic and could break with a little bit of force. But overall these are minor complaints because the features and performance of the product are well worth the money.

As I use it more I will update this thread with additional information. My initial review is that it is worth the money if you have a Apple device and are looking for a new thermometer.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Got a package today
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
I must resist the urge to BUY! ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
I must resist the urge to BUY! ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Mike now you know how I feel about the PBC ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Got a package today
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
Mike, we've been talking to iGrill about adding some features. IMHO it would be very easy to add some sort of data output through the various means of communication through any i device. I like the route of twitter, as they are halfway there with it.
Ideally I'd love to see iGrill offer a cloud service. That would be the cat's meow.

As a note, the iGrill must be fully put into discovery mode every time you switch devices. (Hold down all 3 buttons to prepare it for pairing). It would be nice if you didn't have to do this to switch devices.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
That is very cool to be able to graph your cooks like that!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
Mike, we've been talking to iGrill about adding some features. IMHO it would be very easy to add some sort of data output through the various means of communication through any i device. I like the route of twitter, as they are halfway there with it.
Ideally I'd love to see iGrill offer a cloud service. That would be the cat's meow.

As a note, the iGrill must be fully put into discovery mode every time you switch devices. (Hold down all 3 buttons to prepare it for pairing). It would be nice if you didn't have to do this to switch devices.

I just have a iPad so having to pair to different devices is not an issue for me. It would be great to have additional features like that added ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC