Author Topic: PBC - Ham  (Read 5884 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
PBC - Ham
« Reply #-1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
I think I've done a pretty good job of searching and looking around... but, I don't see anything about doing a ham on the PBC. Anyone tried it? I'd like to do one tomorrow - we've just found out we'll be home for Christmas. No time to put on a big deal, but it's a good time to try something new. I've done turkey (wonderful) so, want to try something different...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Merry Christmas,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: PBC - Ham
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
I would fire up the PBC as you normally would and hang that ham and run a temp probe through it and enjoy your day!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
PBC - Ham
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »
Maybe Noah can put up another video with a ham.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
Did you do the ham? Would love to hear about it :) Hope everyone had a great Christmas and sorry I didn't see this before. Amber

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
Sorry - no, I haven't done it yet. We ended up going to my wife's sister's home for dinner. Still plan to do it soon. My only concern is how to hang without causing a problem. I have no doubt that the flavor will be great... just want to avoid a "bad hang". I have not purchased the ham yet and am open to suggestion. Any thoughts? I will be happy to experiment, just hoping to learn from any previous attempts.

Thanks!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
PBC - Ham
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Sorry - no, I haven't done it yet. We ended up going to my wife's sister's home for dinner. Still plan to do it soon. My only concern is how to hang without causing a problem. I have no doubt that the flavor will be great... just want to avoid a "bad hang". I have not purchased the ham yet and am open to suggestion. Any thoughts? I will be happy to experiment, just hoping to learn from any previous attempts.

Thanks!

David
Have you thought about just putting it on the rack. Just a thought. I did a whole chicken on the rack and it came out outstanding. I stood it up on a beer can chicken holder with an empty can inside.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
Good Call Mike!! The grate sits right in the "Sweet Spot" and you will get the same results as if you hung your meat!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Yep, my plan is to just use the grate. Will be back in a couple days and will be giving it a try. Will post pictures.

Thanks

David
Member #

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »
Drholly- Let me check with Noah and see what he recommends for the ham.. I'm assuming its pre cooked so your just heating? I will get back to tonight!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
Drholly- Let me check with Noah and see what he recommends for the ham.. I'm assuming its pre cooked so your just heating? I will get back to tonight!

Hi Amber,

I have not bought the ham yet - will follow your recco! Everything I have done on the PBC so far has been fantastic - just looking for some ideas on a ham.

Thank you!

David
Member #

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »
I was wondering if you could suspend a ham or butt using the hooks with a frogmat. Sort of a "ham hammock".
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
I was thinking about a "corkscrew" type of hanger for large cuts of meat....

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »

Hi Amber,

I have not bought the ham yet - will follow your recco! Everything I have done on the PBC so far has been fantastic - just looking for some ideas on a ham.

Thank you!

David

I talked with Noah and he says you can hang it with a couple of hooks or use the grill grate, if it is pre cooked take it to 140 degrees and if it's not take it to 160 degrees. Hope this helps! Sorry, we haven't tried a ham on the PBC yet so we will learn from you on this one :) Happy New Year!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
Using the grate makes absolutely no difference than if hanging on the re-bar. Just make sure that you place the re-bar back in place when using the grate....this way the PBC works as intended!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:06 PM »
Colorado is not typically "Ham Country"... ;D  What about a beef roast Amber? or any large cut of meat that we want to cook to approx. 200F?( Not that you want to cook ham to 200F...) That is the temp. at which one can shred or "pull" the meat to make pulled pork, sloppy Joe's, etc...

The question I suppose is - will the meat hook just - pull thru the meat in that case? Multiple hooks at different angles? Maybe even the corkscrew idea?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401