Author Topic: PBC - Ham  (Read 5885 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: PBC - Ham
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Drholly- Let me check with Noah and see what he recommends for the ham.. I'm assuming its pre cooked so your just heating? I will get back to tonight!

Hi Amber,

I have not bought the ham yet - will follow your recco! Everything I have done on the PBC so far has been fantastic - just looking for some ideas on a ham.

Thank you!

David

I talked with Noah and he says you can hang it with a couple of hooks or use the grill grate, if it is pre cooked take it to 140 degrees and if it's not take it to 160 degrees. Hope this helps! Sorry, we haven't tried a ham on the PBC yet so we will learn from you on this one :) Happy New Year!!

Amber,

Thank you. I will be home in a couple days and will give it a try on the grate. I expect to get one that is pre-cooked (most available in a variety of sizes.) Will take some pictures and let everyone know how it goes. I appreciate the suggestions and consideration!

Happy New Year to you and Noah!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
Using the grate makes absolutely no difference than if hanging on the re-bar. Just make sure that you place the re-bar back in place when using the grate....this way the PBC works as intended!!

Yup - always make sure I do. I kinda assumed that using the grate would be the preferred method vs. hanging in this case (although the hammock sounds kinda cool... ) Looking forward to getting home and giving the ham a try.

Happy New Year,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
I kind of like what  muebe did for his cook. That's thinking out side of the box ah i mean pit   ;D

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
I kind of like what  muebe did for his cook. That's thinking out side of the box ah i mean pit   ;D

This is very cool!

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
Colorado is not typically "Ham Country"... ;D  What about a beef roast Amber? or any large cut of meat that we want to cook to approx. 200F?( Not that you want to cook ham to 200F...) That is the temp. at which one can shred or "pull" the meat to make pulled pork, sloppy Joe's, etc...

The question I suppose is - will the meat hook just - pull thru the meat in that case? Multiple hooks at different angles? Maybe even the corkscrew idea?

teesquare- We hang our pork and brisket but we do finish it off on the grill grate and it turns out fantastic! We are always open to suggestions and ideas :) I love the hanging unit that Muebe used!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
So here we are almost 10 months later.  Has anyone done a ham on the PBC yet?  If so, please give details.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Ka Honu- I agree :)

Offline RAD

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
Ok, Ok, I'll take one for the team. If someone will send me their PBC I will try a ham, and ribs, and butt, and chicken and and and and  ::) ::)
Love to cook and eat