Author Topic: "While The Wife Is Away" Ribs - Now With More Pictures!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
"While The Wife Is Away" Ribs - Now With More Pictures!
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
I was supposed to go to my MIL's house today for a surprise 40th birthday party for my wife's brother but I felt like smoking some ribs, so.....that's what I did!

I normally am a baby back eater but I wanted to take a stab at some spares so I bought a rack and trimmed it (haphazardly) into St. Louis style. I did a little experimentation over my usual routine since I figured that if I messed it up, I could always order a pizza :)

After trimming, I coated all pieces with yellow mustard. I sprinkled Simply Marvelous "Cherry" on the top and "Season All" on the bottom. Contrasting flavors that I thought would work well together. Sweet on top, savory on bottom.

While they were on the smoker, I made up some BBQ sauce to go on them, I let it simmer for about 3 hours to thicken. It's gooooooood!

This is a sweet sauce with heat, works great on chicken, pork ribs (not pulled pork) and shines on MOINKS! I forgot to show the copious amounts of brown sugar in the pic above, lol

After they smoked at 225° for about 3 hours, I brought the meat up and made a bed of goodies for it to lie in and put back on the smoker.

I foiled them for about 2 hours and then drained off the pouches and put the meat back on the Pit Boss to firm up after setting it to 300°. I then glazed them real good and let the sauce set before removing them. Turned of the grill and came upstairs to chow down!

The verdict? Let's just say I didn't have to order no stinkin' pizza! :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

Rg those look Fantastic.....just wonderful.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Bayoucajun

Re: "While The Wife Is Away" Ribs - Now With More Pictures!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
With all the great pit masters on let's talk bbq from  Georgia . One of these days need to head up there to sharpen my BBQ skills. Seems  like you bulldogs sure know y'all way around the pit. That includes mike and all the rest.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
Fantabulous ribs Jason!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
Holly crap those look good.  Not too many ribs cooks impress me.  I like this one.  Nice cook partner.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »
Oh my those look good.  So how did you like the spares as opposed to the babybacks?

Pit Boss?  did you go ahead and buy the pellet pooper at Walmart?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »
Oh my those look good.  So how did you like the spares as opposed to the babybacks?

Pit Boss?  did you go ahead and buy the pellet pooper at Walmart?

Nah, it's the Pit Boss I got last year for $250.00 from Walmart. the 770FB I think it's called. I liked the spares pretty good. More meat but it's got that funky cartilage in there that I don't like. I trimmed a good portion of fat off of these as well as the "skirt" meat. They cooked up really nice! Although the KBQ is the King around here, I REALLY like ribs on the pellet poopers!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
Great looking bones.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
I see you are in big trouble Jason.  In that last photo I see in the background that you have smeared your bbq sauce all over the edge of the door in the background and have it dripping off the doorknob.  Didn't Steph just paint your kitchen???????  hhhmmm.....

You did leave the KBQ to me in your will, correct?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:18:41 AM »
Yeah I'd take those ribs over pizza any day!  :thumbup:

I prefer Spareribs over loin back most of the time.  The cartilage in the rib tips never bothered me.  The rib tips can turn out really succulent, and I figure you've either got to spit out bone or cartilage.

The skirt flap makes great stir-fry meat.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »
I see you are in big trouble Jason.  In that last photo I see in the background that you have smeared your bbq sauce all over the edge of the door in the background and have it dripping off the doorknob.  Didn't Steph just paint your kitchen???????  hhhmmm.....

You did leave the KBQ to me in your will, correct?

Not BBQ sauce, just general dirt, lol. That door is being replaced so I am not even going to clean that spot :)

By the end of the week, there will be a frosted glass door there so I will leave you the old one in my will :P

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:48:05 AM »
Those are some serious lookin' bones!!  Nicely done!!  Even though I haven't eaten my breakfast yet, I could probably have a breakfast snack on a plate of this bones.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
Great lookin' ribs!

Seems like the pelletizer you have, though it isn't high priced, serves you well. Would you recommend it for someone on a budget?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Roget

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
Those look great RG.  :thumbup:
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
Great lookin' ribs!

Seems like the pelletizer you have, though it isn't high priced, serves you well. Would you recommend it for someone on a budget?

Thanks Jack! Here's my take on this pellet grill. Budget being a non factor, I say this grill works fantastic. Not to insult anyone (implied or perceived) I think it cooks as good as any other pellet grill, I think that it's a well built grill that is affordable. Will it last 30 years? Probably not, but for the price it sells at, I can buy MANY replacements in that time frame and still come out ahead versus buying a high end pellet grill. An example I can give, I used to think that there was nothing better than my Keg but I was wrong. BGE users think their kamado is the best, as do KJ users, it's natural but I was flawed in my logic. An Akorn can and does cook food just as good as my Keg and a BGE or KJ or Primo, etc....I always thought "Well, my Keg sells for $900.00 and the Akorn for $300.00, there's no way it's as good. It cooks food identical to other Kamados. Will it last as long? Probably not, depending on care and maintenance it'll last a good while. When it wears out, get another or don't get one at all! So.....having learned not to be an elitist or a grill shamer, I say buy what you like and are willing to spend on it and be happy. I am very happy with the Pit Boss line of products as I have been with my Traeger (whom everyone copied to begin with, lol).

That was the long answer, sorry! Had you left out the "budget" part I probably just would've said "Yes!" :P