Author Topic: Best way to clean ceramic grill grates?  (Read 11994 times)

Offline jeffncris

Best way to clean ceramic grill grates?
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
Hi guys,
  I've just bought a Weber Spirit E-310, and it has ceramic (or porcelain) coated grill grates. I have read the entire users manual front to back and not a word about how to clean the grates. Do I just fire the grill up to high for ten minutes to carbonize whatever is left on the grates, then just press on with the cook? Or should I remove them and give them a good scrub after every cook? I'm a bit reluctant to use my wire brush, I don't want to damage the ceramic. All the videos I found on youtube were of grills with cast iron grates, so that doesn't help me much.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeff in Portugal 

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Re: Best way to clean ceramic grill grates?
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Here's what Weber has to say on their website...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/tips-techniques/how-to-care-for-your-cast-iron-cooking-grates/weber-29675.html

Lots of folks are advising against using wire brushes for cleaning grill grates because the bristles can come loose and cause a hazard. They make coiled grill brushes now that are supposed to be safer.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
Jeff,

This is the kind of scrubber Ron is referring to:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000216X6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these on my Grill Grates and my coated steel grates in my MAK.  No bristles to come loose and does not scratch the grates.

Hope this helps!
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 12:44:04 PM »
  For basic every day I use the nylon brushes these days. You can burn off most of the muck. Then use the nylon brush once the grill cools down.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:02:39 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I will look into one of those scrubbers!