Author Topic: Using Grill Grates  (Read 987 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Using Grill Grates
« Reply #-1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
I bought my friend a grill grate set for Christmas ( I also got some from my brotha from anotha motha) but that is for another thread.

She is having nothing but problems with them. She has a gas Weber. Her food doesn't cook evenly. Her meat burns.

I suggested turning down her temps and avoid sugary rubs when grilling.

I know a bunch of you are experience grill grate owners, would you mind taking the time to giving her some suggestions for grill grate success........especially since these were a gift and I live right across the street and dont want a mad neighbor!!  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

Re: Using Grill Grates
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
Grill Grates are meant to be used at very high, searing temperatures and for relatively short periods of time -- e.g. for searing steaks, chops and burgers.  They don't serve much purpose at lower, slow-cooking temperatures.  I use them on my Memphis pellet cooker at 600 and do most cuts in three to six minutes or so depending on thickness and desired doneness.  A one-inch steak, for instance, needs only a couple of minutes per side for medium rare.  If you are burning meat, you're likely cooking it too long (check the article on steak cookery in my section).

As to uneven cooking, I'd look for something like a disturbed or uneven flame pattern.  Remove the GG's and the Weber grids and observe the burners.  Webers are known for even heating, usually.  I've put the GG's in my Spirit on a couple of occasions to do burgers for the grandkids and never had any significant hot or cold spots.  Last thought -- don't remove the Weber grates, use the GG's on top of them as that is the intended method.  If you have them right over the bars you may get some uneven patterns.

Good luck.  I love my GG's and have never had problems. 

Hub
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:24:09 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
I have to confess that I bought some for myself as well , but haven't had the chance to use them.  So you gave to Pam and then I go out and get you some as well? This is just too funny, we're like the 3 stooges hahahahaha - im dying over here.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
Actually, Pam didn't get em, I got some for Kathy who lives directly in front of me and has a Weber Gas Grill!!

The Pamster got some rubs and smoking wood for her electric smoker!!!!  The grates ya got me my brotha I am gonna use in the Yoder so everything worked out real nice!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Using Grill Grates
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Agree with Hub. I used mine on my gasser before I sold it. Used them for searing only at the highest temp. Doesn't seem like the grates could be the issue, my first suspect would be a burner.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
I have a set I been using on my BEESR (Ele Big Easy) for test and have had very good results.   Grill Grates are for high temps and possible she has been cooking in the lower temps.   

I say Hub is correct!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »
i use my grill grates on my mak, weber, pbc.  i don't always use them full blast heat.  i don't think you need all that heat to make them work good.  i use grilled great food while only cooking @ 300° or so. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66