Author Topic: Willie Mae's  (Read 5563 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Willie Mae's
« Reply #-1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:19:24 PM »
I just saw a Mark Wiens youtube video from Willie Mae's in New Orleans: 

Their food especially the fried chicken looked delightful.  I wonder if others on the forum could comment on the food there?  I also would like to know how they make the batter for the chicken, as I would like to replicate it.  Good eats.   :P

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Willie Mae's
« on: October 31, 2021, 02:25:15 PM »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »
Thanks, I would really like to duplicate their recipe.  The only questions that I have about this recipe is that the restaurant used a wet batter and then fryed, without using the oven to finish.

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 04:17:46 PM »
I did not realize that when I watched the youtube video that I found a restaurant that has a secret recipe for fried chicken.  I did some internet searches and find that Willie Mae's recipe is just like other secret ones like Kentucky Fried Chicken that we will never know with it is.  I guess the only way I can enjoy this chicken is to go to New Orleans, but too bad that I live so far away.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:15:18 PM »
... too bad that I live so far away.

No sympathy here - you only live about 800 miles away; I'm at somewhere over 4,200.

And they do know how to make fried chicken! The sides are pretty good but I can't vouch for anything else since I only ever go there for the chicken.

Also, if you're in the neighborhood, check out Dookie Chase - about two blocks away. Another New Orleans classic (especially the lunch buffet if you want an intro to Louisiana-style cooking).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline cookiecdcmk

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »
I am big fan of Mark Wiens on Youtube, and here are a couple more of his videos.  Cajunate, Ka Hona and other Cajun food fans would probably like these especially about the Boudin.