Author Topic: iGrill  (Read 1171 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
iGrill
« Reply #-1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Has anyone tried using this...

I'm having nothing but issues with it... poor performance (short range) and very limited battery life.

I'd like to hear from others that use it.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
Re: iGrill
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »
I returned mine for credit and purchased a Maverick.  Very pleased. Model ET-732.  Another chef friend of mine did the same thing.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
I use my iGrill extensively with the iPad for the interface.  I've had to replace the 4 AA batteries once.  I don't find the battery life any worse than my MAK Remote Boss Controller.  I also use rechargeable batteries.  I little more $$ up front but pays for itself.

Not sure what your definition of 'short range' is bbqchef.  Remember that the iGrill use Bluetooth and not WiFi.  Bluetooth is not designed for long ranges.  Don't know what device you're using with the iGrill either.  Is it a phone or iPad?  The each have their own Bluetooth Range.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
I returned mine for credit and purchased a Maverick.  Very pleased. Model ET-732.  Another chef friend of mine did the same thing.

I too am pleased with my Maverick ET-732 wireless thermometers but I've always loved technology and I like the visual affects and graphing ability.

One drawback to the iGrill is that it's limited to 400ºF where the ET-732 are good to 716ºF.  The ET-732 has a range up to 300 feet and the iGrill claims to be good to 200 feet +
Char Broil SRG

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
My range on the iGrill with my iPhone is about 100 feet... I can't get it to work when I'm in my office that is not that far away from my cooker.

I have to replace the batteries often.

I have a Mav 732 that works much better in terms of range... it doesn't have the same features but at least it works.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
My range on the iGrill with my iPhone is about 100 feet... I can't get it to work when I'm in my office that is not that far away from my cooker.

I have to replace the batteries often.

I have a Mav 732 that works much better in terms of range... it doesn't have the same features but at least it works.

I think I read somewhere that originally the iGrill used older Bluetooth hardware and their range was limited.  The newer ones which I think I have, appear to have better range.  I have no issues with reaching any part of my house.
Char Broil SRG