Author Topic: Punch holes in that pan!  (Read 2169 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Punch holes in that pan!
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I was asked to post this as a tip for folks who may want to cook using an aluminum foil baking pan in their smoker.

My smoking project was a meat loaf made from 3 different meats: ground beef, pork sausage, and ground chicken. Knowing that there would be a high fat content of the meat loaf, we did not want to cook the meat loaf in a pool of its own fats. So what I do is take a nail punch out of my tool chest, and I make about 30 holes in the bottom of the pan in which we pack the meat loaf. This allows all of the fats to drip out of the meat loaf below. I place the meat loaf on the upper or second cooking rack inside of the smoker. On the primary shelf of the smoker, I place another aluminum tin foil baking pan, a little larger than the first one underneath the meat loaf plan. Instead of making a really big mess on the drip area or in my case the heat diffuser of the smoker, all of the oils are collected in the lower aluminum foil pan.

So, if you are going to cook something like a meat loaf or a whole chicken for that matter, this is a way of using the foil pan with holes punched in it to allow the fats to drip out of the pan and prevent the chicken from sitting in its own oil.

Have a great day!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Punch holes in that pan!
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Great idea Ed. With the high headroom in the Yoder, I could spatchcock a big turkey and cook it that way as well...heck, could do a briskie and butts also......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
I'm not really clear on why you cook the meatloaf in a pan at all.  Why not just rack it on a frogmat over a drip pan like you would a fatty?  If you think you need it "firmer" to stand on its own, you could always wrap it in a bacon weave for support (not to mention the great taste of bacon).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »
The turtle is wise. Once you get it formed in  a larger pan than the loaf, you cook toss it the freezer for a spell to make it easier to handle when you put it in the pit. You can even do -2- smaller ones than one large one.

An extra step but you have more areas getting smoke. Tucked away in a pan, ya might as well do it in the oven.

Good observation Turtle.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
Good points by all.

The reason for the pan is to keep the shape and not allow this monster loaf from spreading out. Like I said, it is four pounds of meat, 1 lb. mozzarella and 1/2 lb. provolone, and 1 lb. of spinach and six eggs, plus onions, celery, peppers, and bread crumbs whatever weight that may add. So, this guy starts out weighing 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. or more. This is just too big to roll and shape. And that would be a lot of bacon not that we wouldn't mind bacon.

That's our rationale. The pan is an easy way to keep things together instead of spreading out. As a matter of fact, the pan helped prevent the 1 and 1/2 lbs. of cheese inside from leaking out and kept it on the side of the pan.

Good thoughts.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

Punch holes in that pan!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
Good points by all.

The reason for the pan is to keep the shape and not allow this monster loaf from spreading out. Like I said, it is four pounds of meat, 1 lb. mozzarella and 1/2 lb. provolone, and 1 lb. of spinach and six eggs, plus onions, celery, peppers, and bread crumbs whatever weight that may add. So, this guy starts out weighing 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. or more. This is just too big to roll and shape. And that would be a lot of bacon not that we wouldn't mind bacon.

That's our rationale. The pan is an easy way to keep things together instead of spreading out. As a matter of fact, the pan helped prevent the 1 and 1/2 lbs. of cheese inside from leaking out and kept it on the side of the pan.

Good thoughts.

My loafs are like half that size. So I think you make a good point.....especially with all that cheese. Cheese likes to spread.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
Cheese... Yum!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
Good points by all.

Good thoughts.

My loafs are like half that size. So I think you make a good point.....especially with all that cheese. Cheese likes to spread.

"It is OK to have small loafs Pappy. You probably didn't drink enough milk growing up. Everybody here still loves ya"
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

Punch holes in that pan!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
Good points by all.

Good thoughts.

"It is OK to have small loafs Pappy. You probably didn't drink enough milk growing up. Everybody here still loves ya"

I grew up under power lines and ate paint chips ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
 :D :D :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »
"I grew up under power lines and ate LEAD BASED paint chips " :D :D :D

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
"I grew up under power lines and ate LEAD BASED paint chips " :D :D :D

That explains so much..... now we know why.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »
So far, it has prevented the aliens from reading my thoughts...what thoughts... ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »
I wonder if Tee and Pappy glow in the dark.

Don't take it personally Ed, we will derail anyones thread..... ;D ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven