Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillet?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Cast Iron Skillet?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
I'll try to remember to bring it to the gathering this fall.  I'm sure they are fine for cooking over open flame.

Probably someone with a gas stove could use it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
Lodge are great.
Love to cook and eat

Offline perferd

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
Called sears and they have some in stock and on sale. Onlyest problem is they have limited selection with an 8" skillet a 12" square ripple bottom griddle/skillet? A 12" square griddle/skillet and a prolodgic? 12" rounded pan...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
Do you have the Academic Sports store in your area?

If yes...go there and look in the grilling dept (of all places) and pick out the cast iron pieces you want.  They most likely have 'em stacked on the shelves.  They do at our store.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
Did you try Canadian Tire? If I remember, these are very similar to our Fleet Farm stores...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline perferd

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
Did you try Canadian Tire? If I remember, these are very similar to our Fleet Farm stores...

Never heard of academic sports.

I looked at canadian tire but no lodge and one kitchenaid skillet 10" and one 14" made by world famous?
Semper Fi.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
Check out Academy Sports on line if you ain't got one near you.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline perferd

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
My first cast iron skillet

12" Lodge...

Semper Fi.

Offline perferd

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
Took less then 8 min to reach 700* on the stove lol...

When I got it home I ran hot water over it with a plastic sponge then dried it with a towel and very lightly sprayed it with pam. Thats what the lodge paper told me to do...

I think my first cook with it will be some steak. I plan on cooking steak on the Rec Tec at 225* until it reaches about 120ish* inside then letting it rest for a few minutes. Then I will place it in the lodge which is pre heated and let it cook for about 90sec each side. After that I will let it rest again and eat....I think this is reverse searing...
Semper Fi.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
You will notice the finish on your skillet is a little grainy, it improve with seasoning and cooking. The older Lodge was more finely cast and not as "grainy". Again if you are at antique stores or flea markets or yard sales and see a skillet labeled like yours on the bottom with SK10 and USA, it is about 90% a Lodge and is going to be more smooth and finely cast. After many years of cooking and good care, your skillet will be jet black and as smooth as a baby's bottom. Bacon is your friend when you have new cast iron. Cook bacon over and over. Cook it, then clean it out, rub some light oil then reheat, then cool down. Do that over and over.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline perferd

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
Oh its grainy alright, it ripped up a lightly oiled papertowel with ease lol...
Semper Fi.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:26 AM »
That's a honey! I think you will like it. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:26 AM »
I'm with Ken - cook lots of bacon, then cook some more! It will take time, but if you take care of this pan it will be the best no stick pan you'll ever own.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #