Author Topic: Show your Cast Iron Cook Ware  (Read 823 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Show your Cast Iron Cook Ware
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
I started this thread for all to show off their cast iron cook ware if you will, and any good tips you have.

The first cast iron pan I used was a 10 inch skillet that my Mother in law gave to me. She did a lot of good cooking in that skillet. She could make the best fried chicken, rabbit and squirrel I ever ate. I used it for years then everything would stick. I tried re-seasoning it but could not get it right, probably my fault.

I have a nice collection from over the years all Lodge except for the 12 inch skillet. It says USA on the bottom but no mfg. name. I bought it for outdoor cooking. I have a 10 inch skillet I have used a lot; an 8 inch bean pot, a 10 ¼ inch chicken friar, and a 5 quart Dutch oven. I just bought a lodge friar basket I hope to use with the Dutch oven soon.

My favorite now is two Lodge carbon steel skillets I bought last year; an 8 and a 10 inch. The outside of the 8 measures 9 inches and the 10 is 11 inches. My first carbon steel was a cheap import; I liked it but it got a slight warp and wanted to spin easily on my glass top range. I gave it to my dil. The Lodge are heavy enough they should never warp. I have used all on my glass top range; you just don’t move the pan like you would on a gas range, you move the food. My range is at least 15 years old and the glass top still looks new.

I used to use Crisco to season and now have been using vegetable oil. When I first get a new piece I like to fry some bacon first to get a good start. I clean with hot water and a stiff brush like the one Lodge sells. Sometimes when I get some burnt food on them I use a scotch green pad to clean it off. Sometimes after cleaning I will coat with a thin coat of vegetable oil set on a burner on high until I get a little smoke then remove to cool and it’s ready to go again.

The Lodge sites give good care instructions and I want to try flax seed oil as Capt. Jack posted here.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Bean pot in rear, carbon steel F left, cast iron F right

5 qt. Dutch oven w/basket and chicken friar

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!