Author Topic: White/Black pepper  (Read 557 times)

Offline Palmyrasteak

White/Black pepper
« Reply #-1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I know there are a lot of smart people on here. I am still trying to learn stuff that seems so simple to some people. Anyway, what is the difference between white and black pepper? I have never used white on anything. Is the white stronger? 

Offline Ka Honu

Re: White/Black pepper
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
Simplest explanation:  Same plant - different flavors.  Black pepper is picked earlier and dried.  White pepper is allowed to ripen and then soaked to remove the skin.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
I use white pepper all the time. It has a lighter pepper taste with a full body. Much finer grind than black pepper. I love seasoning my Tri-tips with it. Just a simple white pepper, black pepper, and salt blend.

As the Turtle mentioned it is left to ripen and the shell is removed before grinding.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
I've been told that you can't digest black pepper but you can white. Not sure what that really means but I think I've used white once or twice but always use black.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
White pepper is hotter than black. I like to use a four pepper corn mix, red, green, white and black. The crazy Cajun Justin Wilson used to say don't use black pepper it is just ground wood, if you want heat use Cayenne. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
I'm with Don - I like to use a variety based on what's cooking. I also really like pink "pepper" and Grains of Paradise - neither of which are true peppercorns.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks yall! I knew THIS would be the place to get the answer  ;). Like I said, I am still learning. I got the steak cooking down pretty good and fixin to jump in the rib competition world! This is the BEST site I have found to get honest talk, without a bunch of BS from people when they see somebody like me trying to learn.
Thanks again!!!!  ;)

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
We are all learning everyday and if we know it all then we would be God. Just sayin..
Love to cook and eat