Author Topic: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #-1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
I need input (& I value everyone's opinion on this site) :o I have a Food Saver VAC550 that is 26 years old. I've come close to throwing it away on 2 or 3 occasions over the past 5 years, but now I'm really close... Here's what's going on... I found an awesome deal a few weeks ago on some 80/20 1/3lb ground chuck patties (my go to burger). There was 4 to pack and they were on super sale for $2.00/pkg due to close 'expiration' date (about 5 days). So I bought 25 of the packages (that's 100 patties, I know some of us don't like math so I did it).  ;D  Let me back up a moment. Prior to discovering the Weston bags I had a hard time getting bags to seal, and then 2 months later I would find the seal had let loose. I discovered a lot of freezer burned food that had been in the freezer for 4-6 months (well within the time zone), and upon closer evaluation discovered the seal had let loose.  The Weston bags solved that problem as they seal nicely. OK, back to the story...
Bad Episode #1; The first 15 packages went OK. I knew enough to let the Vac Sealer cool down between bags (about 5 to 10 minutes). BUT, lots of problems with the last 10 packages. The Vac Sealer really sucked. I mean really. There was so much red (we'll call it juice) in the freezer bag that it didn't want to seal. After repeating the process a few times for each of those troublesome batches I got em sealed and through them in the freezer. I realize, in hind site (my best focal point) , that I should have froze the patties for 3 or 4 hours and then Vac sealed them to avoid the moisture problem, but it had gotten to be 2:00 in the morning and the body said bedtime, so I just muddled through it.
Well, we tried some of those burgers last night. I had put an 'x' on the troublesome packages. The burgers were very dry and tough. I've used this brand of burgers many times over the past 12 months, and it's not the burgers, as we had opened up a different pack the week before with no problem.  So I'm convinced the Vac sealer sucked so much moisture out of the burgers that it made them dry and tough.
Bad Episode #2 I love rhubarb and have been wanting to freeze a bunch to have in the winter. Yes, I know I'm about 6 weeks late on that, but I didn't feel up to chopping it all by hand. Saturday afternoon. I used my new Cuisinart to lightly but QUICKLY slice it up (worked great).  So I grabbed a stack of Weston bags, two different sizes...some for pies, smaller ones for sauce, etc. As soon as I went to Seal the first bag I knew I was in trouble. The bag filled up with rhubarb juice and even after standing the bag upright at a lower level than the vac sealer, I still had rhubarb juice all over the counter and kitchen floor, it sucked it right out of the fruit and right out of the bag.  (yes, the wife got a FREE scrub job of the kitchen floor, so she was happy.) I had all of this rhubarb and had to deal with it, so I found some Zip lock bags and filled em up and through em in the freezer.
Here's how it acts; When the air in the bag has been removed the Vac Sealer is supposed to turn off the Vacuum pump and turn on the heat for the sealer. The Vacuum pump keeps running, even when the heat sealer finally turns on.
Your Suggestions and Recommendations,  ::).  The wife already suggested that i just freeze everything for a bit and then Vac Seal it later. Yeah right, like my disability is wanting me to spend MORE time on each project, NOT. 
Also, I need to mention that I was apparently having trouble with this sealer last fall (and was to dumb to know it) as we had purchased some fruit and I wanted to freeze it, which I did, but the Vac Sealer sucked so hard that it crushed everything and turned it all into mush, even those nice big peaches, OUCH.
What's a good brand? What's the best model for the price?  Can A person Vac Seal delicate stuff like fruit without crushing it? Thanks in advance for any input here. Confused in Iowa, Again Still, Don
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:40:19 AM by BigDon »
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
Don a vac sealer that is 26 years old has given you a great life! There are no appliances made today that will last that long. That is a quality vac sealer that might need to be put down to pasture now.

I suppose you could locate the parts or a whole old unit on eBay to repair it but would it be worth it? There is probably a vacuum switch inside the unit that is either stuck or cracked. The switch cuts off the pump when full vacuum is reached. Obliviously your unit is not getting that signal.

You could disassemble it and see if there is a cracked or loose vacuum line. Or maybe a loose wire to the switch. If that is the case then it would be a simple fix.

I would suggest investing in another new Foodsaver if it ends up being a vacuum switch that needs to be replaced.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Don -
The brands that I like the most are the Weston, and Cabela's.

THey are both made by Weston. The Cabela's CG-15.  Now - I am a terminal tight-wad. I hate paying retail. ( It is genetic, x2 - being a Scottish-Jew ;D )
So, I watched Craigslist nationwide ( use www.Searchtempest.com ) until I found a Cabela's CG-15 for $125, that had very littel use. The guy had not even peeled the protective plastic off the outside. With UPS - I had a total of $150 in it. It has been a great investment in that it can seal 15'' wide bags - so big boston butts, and briskets left whole - can now be sealed whole.

Parts are readily available, from Weston, or others.

New price I think is around $450 at full retail. You can find sales - and discounters on e-bay.

Best of luck!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
I'm a big fan of the ARY VacMaster 260 and have used one for quite a while now.  They make VERY nice chamber sealers too but they're a bit too rich for my blood.  Amazon retails for much less than other vendors if you're interested.

Sturdier than FoodSavers in my experience and worth the premium price.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »
Thanks Muebe And T, I used to be an electronics technician back in a former life, so I'll open up the Food saver on the kitchen table and see I can save 'er.  :P  I'll do that in the morning, if I don't win on that I'll jump on the new one immediately. Yes, cost matters, now that I'm fixed (income wise) but I now realize how much great food I have already wasted due to the issue that I want to make sure I get something good. That Cabela's unit sounds interesting.
C.B. BEESR

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Thanks, the ARY VacMaster also sounds interesting.  I didn't mean to imply in my other post that I had already decided on a brand and/or model...I'm just starting the hunt, so keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate all of them.
C.B. BEESR

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
I don't think I can help anyone who is reluctant to get rid of a 26 yr. old vac sealer!  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »
Well Don, you're right...I'm being stupid I guess. Normally I jump at the chance to buy a new toy, I've just been buying a few too many things this year and was going to just hesitate a bit before I jump over the edge.  8) ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:41:31 AM by BigDon »
C.B. BEESR

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:55:35 AM »
That Ary unit does look good...I would be looking at that one if I had not got lucky on finding the Cabela's CG-15 that I got so cheap.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
Well like they said at 26 years you have gotten good use out of that unit. It might not be your problem but when my 6 or 8 year old Food Saver started acting like that the problem turned out to be that there was grit and stuff under the foam gaskets. I took them out and cleaned them and it started sealing good again.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »
Don if you go for a new one I have a Food Saver V3485 and I really like it. I wanted a good one but was not prepared to pay over $200 for one. I have had it about 2 yrs. I found that anything with much moisture needs to be frozen first. For delicate items it has a feature the same button you press to bypass the vac and seal the open end on rolls, just press it and the vac will stop and go to seal. I do corn bread in it. If you watch Food Saver they are always having sales. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
Muebe, Pappy, myself and I am sure others use the foodsaver brand.

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
Yep. A good way for me to start my vac sealing adventure! No issues at this point. And I use the Weston rolls as they are cheaper.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Northshore

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
If spending money to get new one make sure it will handle all of the items you normally or might wish to vac seal.  I watched for sale and picked up a weston pro 2300. It will handle 15" wide bags. Makes sealing up a side of pork belly fresh or cured &smoked very easy. 
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sam3

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Muebe, Pappy, myself and I am sure others use the foodsaver brand.

I've got the same one. I use it all the time.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker