Author Topic: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!  (Read 5841 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
Well like they said at 26 years you have gotten good use out of that unit. It might not be your problem but when my 6 or 8 year old Food Saver started acting like that the problem turned out to be that there was grit and stuff under the foam gaskets. I took them out and cleaned them and it started sealing good again.
And you make a good point Ken - the gaskets and the heat seal strips can be replaced in most vacuum sealers for just a few bucks....May be worth trying first before you buy another on Don...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
I bought one of these a few weeks back. The unit I had before was very old and had worn out gaskets. I thought why not buy a new one, if it holds up like the last one then I'm set for life!   

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tatonka3a2

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »
I think you may hold the record for longest running foodsaver.!!  Regardless of a brand of new one anything with moisture should be froze first, it just works better that way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline Pappymn

I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
I think you may hold the record for longest running foodsaver.!!  Regardless of a brand of new one anything with moisture should be froze first, it just works better that way.

Can you elaborate on this. I am in week one if using my vac sealer.....would love some tips

Pretty please ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
I bought one of these a few weeks back. The unit I had before was very old and had worn out gaskets. I thought why not buy a new one, if it holds up like the last one then I'm set for life!

I keep my food saver stored in my basement when not in use. I am afraid if I got the camo one I could not find it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »

Can you elaborate on this. I am in week one if using my vac sealer.....would love some tips

Pretty please ;)
Tanya is right...If the subject to be vacuum sealed has much moisture - put it in a container, on wax paper, and freeze it enough that the liquids will not get sucked into your vac pump and goof it up.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Tee and Tatonka are spot on regarding the freezing.  Beyond the liquid issue, if there are meats or preps you want to preserve the shape of (ex:  meatballs, rolls, etc.) you may want to firm them up in the freezer as well prior to the sealing process.  If you're trying to vacuum seal things like spices, where you worry about the intake of particulate matter, a very careful hand using the pulse function can accomplish the task.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

I keep my food saver stored in my basement when not in use. I am afraid if I got the camo one I could not find it.
I hope Kimmie wont find it  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
When sealing foods with a lot of liquid you can fold up a paper towel and place it in the bag between the food being sealed and the sealer. This paper towel will catch the liquids as vacuum is being pulled.

Also as Tanya stated you can bring the food up to a near frozen state so that the liquids are suspended. Then seal the food.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of the ARY VacMaster 260 and have used one for quite a while now. 
Sturdier than FoodSavers in my experience and worth the premium price.
I was about ready to pull the trigger on this one until I read the reviews...many people talk about the gasket going bad after 12-18 months, any thoughts??
The one I'd LOVE to score on is that Cabela's unit, but I can't even find a price on their site for that unit, they might not make it anymore. Now I'm researching the FoodSaver unit pictured above.
You all have been GREAT in clearing up many issues for me, and many great suggestions on products. I took the old Food Saver apart this morning, some foreign matter in the internal vac tube, cleaned it out, no real change. I need to get one coming ASAP as I have a bunch of stuff to freeze NOW.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Got the G300 at Academy Sports store
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I shure do wish we had an Academy Sports here in Cedar Rapids. I hear about a lot of great deals there, and I here they have some GREAT knowledgeable and FRIENDLY employees.  ;) :-*
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:44 PM »
I "won" a drawing for Sous Vide products last week - a "gift certificate." Since it was not enough to cover the cost of a sous vide device, I went with their portable / hand held vacuum sealer and a bunch of bags - http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Vacuum_Sealers/SousVide_Supreme_Zip_Sealer/Product.aspx?ProductID=130&DeptID=4&&
I have NO idea how well this will work - but it was "free" - so I decided to try it out. Should be here next week, will let you know how it works.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »
I "won" a drawing for Sous Vide products last week - a "gift certificate." Since it was not enough to cover the cost of a sous vide device, I went with their portable / hand held vacuum sealer and a bunch of bags - http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Vacuum_Sealers/SousVide_Supreme_Zip_Sealer/Product.aspx?ProductID=130&DeptID=4&&
I have NO idea how well this will work - but it was "free" - so I decided to try it out. Should be here next week, will let you know how it works.

David, you will appreciate this story. My wife "won" a large outdoor hot tub from Home Depot at the Minnesota state fair. 7 thousand bucks later for a cabana, electrical, and concrete pad.......

She is no longer allowed to enter drawings.......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I shure do wish we had an Academy Sports here in Cedar Rapids. I hear about a lot of great deals there, and I here they have some GREAT knowledgeable and FRIENDLY employees.  ;) :-*

Twopockets (Ken) is one of those knowledgeable and FRIENDLY employees.