Author Topic: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!  (Read 5842 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
I "won" a drawing for Sous Vide products last week - a "gift certificate." Since it was not enough to cover the cost of a sous vide device, I went with their portable / hand held vacuum sealer and a bunch of bags - http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Vacuum_Sealers/SousVide_Supreme_Zip_Sealer/Product.aspx?ProductID=130&DeptID=4&&
I have NO idea how well this will work - but it was "free" - so I decided to try it out. Should be here next week, will let you know how it works.

David, you will appreciate this story. My wife "won" a large outdoor hot tub from Home Depot at the Minnesota state fair. 7 thousand bucks later for a cabana, electrical, and concrete pad.......

She is no longer allowed to enter drawings.......

I was going to save on the  Sous Vide and use my wife's Hot Tube as the unit.

Similar situation here only she brought it I had to to all the work to install it. Never show your wife your hammer and that you can use it. ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:38 PM »
Well, I was about set to pull the trigger on the LEM MaxVac, Amazon has it for $369 instead of the $449 at LEM. I was not ALLOWED to pull the trigger, when the wife (who was looking over my shoulder at the time  ??? ) seen that it was 15 inches deep she said (and I quote) "Your not setting that thing on MY counter!" OK, I sort of understand, but not really... now that I am retired (early retirement, not by choice) I do all of the cooking, which means I also do all of the grocery shopping, etc... So how is it that its HER kitchen countert?? ::) :o :-X :'(
'Ya all can tell that she's not in the room right now or I wouldn't be able to post this. Now that I think about it, I do remember my attorney telling me that what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers. Oh well. The hunt continues (for a Vac Sealer, I decided it's easier to replace the Vac Sealer than the wife.)  :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:51:29 PM by BigDon »
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
Many of the units I looked at (and fell in love with) have a 'PULSE' feature for total control and/or delicate items. I haven't been able to find that feature on the Food Saver models? I'm wandering how much I will miss this feature?
C.B. BEESR

Offline Pappymn

I'm guessin' I need a NEW VAC SEALER?#!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
How about a rolling cart? You can also mention that freezer burn and moisture loss do not equal good eats :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
Many of the units I looked at (and fell in love with) have a 'PULSE' feature for total control and/or delicate items. I haven't been able to find that feature on the Food Saver models? I'm wandering how much I will miss this feature?

I have that on my foodsaver.....just haven't used it yet
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »
Pappy, which Food Saver model do you have?
C.B. BEESR

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
I "won" a drawing for Sous Vide products last week - a "gift certificate." Since it was not enough to cover the cost of a sous vide device, I went with their portable / hand held vacuum sealer and a bunch of bags - http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Vacuum_Sealers/SousVide_Supreme_Zip_Sealer/Product.aspx?ProductID=130&DeptID=4&&
I have NO idea how well this will work - but it was "free" - so I decided to try it out. Should be here next week, will let you know how it works.

David, you will appreciate this story. My wife "won" a large outdoor hot tub from Home Depot at the Minnesota state fair. 7 thousand bucks later for a cabana, electrical, and concrete pad.......

She is no longer allowed to enter drawings.......

Ouch!  ??? You might mention that when she gives you "the look" as you fire up the grinder...  ::)... then again, you might not...  ???

OBTW - Good thing I work from home - I can hang around waiting for the UPS guy...  8) On the other hand, because my wife is a school secretary, she has reduced hours in the summer and is too often home when the brown truck rolls up...  ???

Good luck!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 01:44:05 AM »
BigD you might like the pulse feature, mine does not have that; just speed, (normal and gentle) and food, (dry and wet). For gentle things I use gentle and wet but for real gentle items like corn bread you have to be ready to hit the stop seal button quick. Wives may let you do all the cooking but they still own the kitchen! Mine was even reluctant to let me set the Food Saver out and it only sticks out 5 1/2 inches. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »
Pappy, which Food Saver model do you have?

I have the model V3880

$150 bucks at Costco.....came with a 20 foot roll of bag
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dakota Don

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
This has been a great post (topic) for me, Thanks Gang! Not only have I gotten a lot of good advice on various vacuum sealing units, I have also picked up a bunch of 'how to' tips and tricks for using a vacuum sealer. I don't recall reading any of this great information in the 'owners manual' that was packed with the unit. Users manuals aren't written buy people that actually use the products,  :-\ so this is wonderful. In order to keep the wife 'happy' satisfied I ordered the Food Saver V3835 (they didn't have the 3880).  Again, Thanks. Don
C.B. BEESR