Author Topic: Making a foil pouch for ribs  (Read 3466 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Making a foil pouch for ribs
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:59:20 AM »
Basically, you can accomplish the same result if she had used an aluminum baking pan to set in the ribs and pored in the liquid of her choice and then covered it with a sheet of foil pressing down on the sides. Her methodology was good, but a straight line is the shortest distance between 2 points.

And, frankly, my motor development has declined so much over the last few years, I do not know if I could even come close to folding the way she did.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »

another fine example of a proper bbq rib.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
I got your question . . . watched the video . . . thought her "process" was kind of involved.  I just use two sheets of heavy duty foil, wrapping them around the ribs on the top.  Super easy.

Her "recipe" is pretty sorry -- gotta agree with the other posters on that.  If she hates ribs so much she shouldn't be cooking them.  Go to a restaurant and eat their bad ribs.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
Hot dang!!!

This ain't about her recipe - I would NEVER cook ribs that way nor would I advise anyone to.  Steamed, boiled, etc won't make for good ribs unless you LIKE 'em that way.

ITS THE POUCH!!!

All right - here's the deal...betimes when I am smokin' a large butt, I have a bit of a problem wrappin' it even though We use the "restaurant roll" from Sam's (extra wide, etc).  I am not the pro that many of you are, so I don't know all the tricks yet. 

This one simple technique for foiling -NOT THE RECIPE - gave me a good idea that will help make it easier to fully wrap the butt before I put it back on to finish.  By the way, if you line the pan as she suggests - forget her recipe - you shouldn't have to worry about the juices spilling out when you move it from kitchen to smoker or grill or oven (not that I would use the oven like she did in the video).

In conclusion (and hopefully closing THIS can of worms), if you have a good technique for foiling those ribs and butts...PLEASE, disregard this thread.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
So tell us what you thought of her ribs, Jax; we already know you like her pouch.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »
Hot dang!!!

This ain't about her recipe - I would NEVER cook ribs that way nor would I advise anyone to.  Steamed, boiled, etc won't make for good ribs unless you LIKE 'em that way.

ITS THE POUCH!!!

All right - here's the deal...betimes when I am smokin' a large butt, I have a bit of a problem wrappin' it even though We use the "restaurant roll" from Sam's (extra wide, etc).  I am not the pro that many of you are, so I don't know all the tricks yet. 

This one simple technique for foiling -NOT THE RECIPE - gave me a good idea that will help make it easier to fully wrap the butt before I put it back on to finish.  By the way, if you line the pan as she suggests - forget her recipe - you shouldn't have to worry about the juices spilling out when you move it from kitchen to smoker or grill or oven (not that I would use the oven like she did in the video).

In conclusion (and hopefully closing THIS can of worms), if you have a good technique for foiling those ribs and butts...PLEASE, disregard this thread.
Jaxon try using a disposable foil pan & covering with HD foil.
Even works with your Tendarub ribs ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Hub

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
Hey, I've enjoyed this "can of worms", Jaxon -- thanks for kicking it off  ;D.  And, you've got to admit her pouch is outdone by her slouch when it comes to cooking ribs.  Hard to ignore her recipe whilst trying to pick up on the pouch thing.

When it comes to foiling ribs I lay down two sheets of heavy duty, large size aluminum foil.  Next I lay down the goodies I want the ribs to absorb.  Next I put the ribs on that stuff.  Then I "fold/crimp/smash/wad/whatever it takes to get the foil around the ribs.  If I keep all the edges in the air and don't turn it upbside down, they don't leak!  It isn't pretty and neither am I so I won't be asked to do video of it.  However, I would like to be so I could show the unwashed how not to screw up ribs.

Thanks for being a good sport while all the side-tracking goes on  ;)

Hub 
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
I am going to practice foiling ribs tonight as I am going to put baby back beef ribs on the wood smoker tomorrow. I am not going to quit until I get it right. I made some help.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

Hub

I think I'll go ahead and change my avatar and name to "Ben Dover".

;)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
 ??? ??? ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »

Hub

I think I'll go ahead and change my avatar and name to "Ben Dover".

;)

That's the spirit -- we all sacrifice some dignity just by being seen (and quoted) here.  Your sacrifice is both greatly appreciated and even exceeded by some  ::)      The stuffed shirts hang out somewhere else.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC