Author Topic: First time frying up some good food...  (Read 719 times)

Offline perferd

First time frying up some good food...
« Reply #-1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
So I got a wild hair and decided to fry up some catfish and some chicken this week. I think I did pretty good cause it tasted great to me and the kids loved it...

Couple questions: What do you do with the used grease? Bacon grease, vegetable oil, crisco...So far I had been pouring in an old can then just getting rid of it. I am wondering though can I reuse it or put it to use? Sometimes its pretty dirty and sometimes its mixed grease in the can...

Thanks

Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Pappymn

First time frying up some good food...
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with that!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: First time frying up some good food...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
Looks good to me! Nice job!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline perferd

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
Along with my other questions I am wondering how you keep your oil temp consistent? For the fish I tried to keep it around 350* and the chicken around 325* but I had a hard time unless I kept shooting it and adjusting the knob a million times lol...
Semper Fi.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:51:15 AM »
Chicken and fish look great!!! When I was doing some deep frying in a deep fryer I just let it get to temp and fried whatever and let it come back up to temp before adding more, I think it should work the same whatever you cook on. Most restaurants or any place that fries a lot of food usually recycles their oil if you know someone who does ask if you can use their grease dump. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »
Great looking fish! And as far as storing your used oil this looks like a good idea ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:35:48 AM »
Neat idea muebe.

Great looking fish and chicken!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
I reckon I'd eat the disrag if ya' deep fried it  ???

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline perferd

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
That filter chef looks great thanks...

So tell me what if I use crisco then use veggy oil then its only bacon grease. Do I just use the mixed oil?

Also any help on keeping temp at a consistant rate? I have an electric glass top stove. Basically I just kept shooting it with temp gun  and adjusting the knob up and down...
Semper Fi.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
I don't do a lot of deep frying since I found the SRG. However, when I do I like to use a deep fryer with digital temp control - takes all the guess work and worry out of it.

When I do it on the stove I use the heaviest cast iron pan or Dutch Oven I have. I found that trying to chase the temp with the thermostat just wasn't worth the effort - it rarely worked for me. Much better was to use a good oil (I like grape seed) and a super heavy cast iron pan / pot. The cast iron helps hold the heat when food is added to the oil. Also, check your burners and find the strongest one. I have a gas stove and it is a bit old... I've found that the "hottest" burner has changed over the years. Just try boiling water (same amount, same pan) on each and see which one wins.

I also let the food come closer to room temp than fridge temp so the temp change is not so great. Finally, cook fewer items at a time. Again, this helps minimize the temp change when the food is added. Even though I use a very large cast iron pan or Dutch Oven, I add much less food to it at a time than it could really handle - just to help keep the oil at a more consistent temperature.

Good luck.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
DrHolly is spot on regarding not overcrowding a pan when cooking.  I grew up in a Deep South household and my mom (and grandmother) both refused to use deep fryers in favor of old school cast iron skillets ... it looks like you're doing the same thing, Perferd.  Those suckers hold heat so well that it really makes frying easier.

Oil can be recycled a bit so long as there is no real sediment in the fry pan; paper coffee filters can quickly remove most of the particulate sediment and help extend the life of oil without it going rancid.  I will say even with those home filtering systems you'll still get distinct aroma and taste of stronger foods like fish so I'd segment your recycled oil accordingly.

On the frying subject, I just whipped up a batch of homemade donuts for my godkids using some oil recycled from making pan-fried pork chops a couple of nights ago ... I ran it twice through a coffee filter and it was aroma and flavor-free.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:50:38 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
Nice! ;D :P :P
Member #

Offline perferd

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
I am sooooooooooo making donuts!!!! What's you recipe?
Semper Fi.

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
An ex-girlfriend in college showed me this trick.  Take some Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits, flatten them slightly, and use a cap off a sauce container (I used a cap 1" in diameter from a Johnny's French Dip container) to punch the hole.  Heat about 1" deep of oil in a large skillet to medium high; I used canola but any flavorless oil works well, especially peanut.  To make donut holes, combine two of the punches into one ball and fry them up as testers ... they should brown after 60 seconds or so on each side; I used two slotted wooden spoons to keep help them brown on all sides.  Drop a few donuts at a time (three fit nicely in a 12" cast iron skillet) and fry until golden brown, then flip ... the donuts themselves take about 90 seconds per side.  Remove and drain on paper towels and then you can toss them in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, etc.

I made a quick glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp salted butter, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tsp peppermint extract, and 1 tbsp of 2% milk (plus a little more to thin it just slightly) over low heat in a nonstick saucepan to make a chocolate-mint glaze.  Take the warm donuts and place face down in the chocolate mixture, let them sit for a few seconds, and rotate the donut (like you're unscrewing the lid on a pickle jar) to allow the glaze to coat evenly while releasing.

You can use other flavors than peppermint ... raspberry or rum extract go really well with the cocoa powder.  I've even done banana extract with chocolate glaze and crushed peanuts (I called it the "A Hunk, a Hunk of Burning Love").  Also, Nutella by itself is KILLER as a donut icing.

If you're using recycled oil be sure it's been well filtered ... fishy donuts are no bueno.  Let me know how you like them!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:07:31 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
An ex-girlfriend in college showed me this trick.  Take some Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits, flatten them slightly, and use a cap off a sauce container (I used a cap 1" in diameter from a Johnny's French Dip container) to punch the hole.  Heat a pan of oil to medium high; I used canola but any flavorless oil works well, especially peanut.  To make donut holes, combine two of the punches into one ball and fry them up as testers ... they should brown after 60 seconds or so on each side; I used two slotted wooden spoons to keep help them brown on all sides.  Drop a few donuts at a time (three fit nicely in a 12" cast iron skillet) and fry until golden brown, then flip ... the donuts themselves take about 90 seconds per side.  Remove and drain on paper towels and then you can toss them in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, etc.

I made a quick glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp salted butter, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tsp peppermint extract, and 1 tbsp of 2% milk (plus a little more to thin it just slightly) over low heat in a nonstick saucepan to make a chocolate-mint glaze.  Take the warm donuts and place face down in the chocolate mixture, let them sit for a few seconds, and rotate the donut (like you're unscrewing the lid on a pickle jar) to allow the glaze to coat evenly while releasing.

You can use other flavors than peppermint ... raspberry or rum extract go really well with the cocoa powder.  I've even done banana extract with chocolate glaze and crushed peanuts (I called it the "A Hunk, a Hunk of Burning Love").  Also, Nutella by itself is KILLER as a donut icing.

If you're using recycled oil be sure it's been well filtered ... fishy donuts are no bueno.  Let me know how you like them!

Perfect!
Member #