Author Topic: Killen's BBQ - Pearland, TX  (Read 1279 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Killen's BBQ - Pearland, TX
« Reply #-1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
Okay, for anyone who is planning a BBQ pilgrimage to Texas, the Houston area has really stepped up it's game lately with some really fine 'Q.  Out in the Woodlands there's an amazing place called Corkscrew BBQ ... in Houston proper, some of the great local joints like Pizzitola's or Demeris BBQ ... over towards Baytown there's Four Corners BBQ.  But down in Pearland, just a few minutes south of Houston, is Ronnie Killen's new barbecue pop-up restaurant that he's in the process of building a brick-and-mortar joint that should make this area a "must see" on your list.

Killen's Steakhouse, also in Pearland, is not only one of the best steakhouses in the state of Texas but in the nation; I can say from experience that it stands toe-to-toe with the best that New York, Chicago, Kansas City, or Dallas has to offer.  Killen is a Cordon Bleu trained chef but he's definitely not a "frou frou" chef ... he's out there in the Texas heat every weekend supervising his cooks and he serves as the hands-on pitmaster for this little operation.

I put his beef ribs as the tops I've ever had and his brisket is as good as anything you'll find coming out of the Hill Country.  Pork ribs are killer and his chicken and turkey are utterly amazing.  He also makes a killer banana pudding and bread pudding.  Here's his smoked sampler platter with brisket, beef rib, spares, sausage and turkey:

I know there is a red flag that goes up for many of you when you hear "chef" and "barbecue" in the same sentence.  This guy puts out center cut spares for $10.00 a pound and they're easily worth twice that ... trust me, I am not exaggerating.  If you have the chance to come down this way, especially for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's BBQ Cookoff every March, you'll get a chance to eat 'Q that will change your life.

Killen's BBQ - Pearland, TX
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:53:39 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Re: Killen's BBQ - Pearland, TX
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
The steakhouse in Pearland doesn't look impressive from outside but as you mentioned, it is top notch from what I hear. I am 35 minutes from Pearland but haven't had a chance to go.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
The bone-in dry aged ribeye is manna from heaven ... you won't be sorry.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
The next time I am out east...
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS