Author Topic: A simple chicken in the PBC  (Read 2660 times)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
A simple chicken in the PBC
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
I love cooking bird in the PBC. Nice cook.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

Re: A simple chicken in the PBC
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »

I'd like to hear about hat you do to make things work for competition. I am happy cooking in my backyard, but it would be interesting to hear about "the other side."

Thanks!

In competition, appearance, taste and tenderness are the judged factors.  This makes the thigh ideal because it is easily trimmed, has good natural flavor and moisture, and is forgiving of overcooking (doesn't dry out easily like white meat).  So, I did several test batches of my competition recipe (usually done in my Memphis) in my PBC.  The "sweet spot" temperature is typically around 300 degrees so I had to shorten my cook times (cook lower temp in Memphis).  I put the trimmed and seasoned thighs in a pan on the grid uncovered for a while, then covered, then finally on a rack pan, sauced to glaze.  Getting the timing right for these steps is the only way to do this since the PBC allows no adjustment.  Trial and error and lots of notes later I finished 8th at a recent contest.  Not exactly big money but a walk is a walk and I bested Myron Mixon in the category  ;D

I used the PBC for logistical reasons.  I was cooking only chicken -- my 3 other teammates each took a meat to specialize -- so I elected to use the PBC because it is much easier to transport than the Memphis.  When I compete again in September (doing ribs and chicken) I'll go back to the Memphis (more space, better control).

The PBC company competes with their cookers and has posted several good results but they do not share their approaches and methodologies.  One must reverse-engineer and do a lot of adapting and experimenting to compete with one.  It is fun in some ways and a bit frustrating in others.  Some cooker manufacturers will assist their customer/users with competition methodology (Jambo, Fast Eddy, Country, etc.) but most do not.

So, there's "the rest of the story".  I love my PBC but will likely never do a lot of competing with it because I'd have to have several (not a lot of space/access for competition) and with two pellet cookers (two temps, one for the long cook, one for the short cook) I get the job done easier. 

Hub   
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »
Thanks, Hub! Great explanation (like all of your articles!)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
+1 for PBC chicken  ;D

This is the cook I do most often on my PBC with a recipe similar to yours and the results are always awesome!  Everyone who tastes it raves about it and it is super easy to do.

I used the PBC for competition chicken (thighs) last weekend and got a walk, but it took lots and lots and lots of experimenting and tweaking to figure out how to make it work.  Big difference in the approach and target, of course.  Nonetheless, it is a chicken cooking machine extraordinaire  8) 

Hub

Where were you cooking? Billy poo poos my PBC chicken! He's a pellethead through and through.  ;D  OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »

Where were you cooking? Billy poo poos my PBC chicken! He's a pellethead through and through.  ;D  OD

Hey Art!  Franklin, NC contest. 
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

Didn't have that one on the list. Was it a KCBS event? Don't think I'm going to make the Sept. Biker Bust at Salisbury this year. Probably, going to have another eye operation, mid September. Congrats on your chicken walk! ;)   OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »

Didn't have that one on the list. Was it a KCBS event? Don't think I'm going to make the Sept. Biker Bust at Salisbury this year. Probably, going to have another eye operation, mid September. Congrats on your chicken walk! ;)   OD

Yes, its KCBS.  I won't compete in any other sanctions -- too "loosey goosey". 
Sure wish you could join us in Salisbury!!!  Billy is cooking Sam's in Richmond this weeking and I'm judging Greer, SC.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »

I'd like to hear about hat you do to make things work for competition. I am happy cooking in my backyard, but it would be interesting to hear about "the other side."

Thanks!

In competition, appearance, taste and tenderness are the judged factors.  This makes the thigh ideal because it is easily trimmed, has good natural flavor and moisture, and is forgiving of overcooking (doesn't dry out easily like white meat).  So, I did several test batches of my competition recipe (usually done in my Memphis) in my PBC.  The "sweet spot" temperature is typically around 300 degrees so I had to shorten my cook times (cook lower temp in Memphis).  I put the trimmed and seasoned thighs in a pan on the grid uncovered for a while, then covered, then finally on a rack pan, sauced to glaze.  Getting the timing right for these steps is the only way to do this since the PBC allows no adjustment.  Trial and error and lots of notes later I finished 8th at a recent contest.  Not exactly big money but a walk is a walk and I bested Myron Mixon in the category  ;D

I used the PBC for logistical reasons.  I was cooking only chicken -- my 3 other teammates each took a meat to specialize -- so I elected to use the PBC because it is much easier to transport than the Memphis.  When I compete again in September (doing ribs and chicken) I'll go back to the Memphis (more space, better control).

The PBC company competes with their cookers and has posted several good results but they do not share their approaches and methodologies.  One must reverse-engineer and do a lot of adapting and experimenting to compete with one.  It is fun in some ways and a bit frustrating in others.  Some cooker manufacturers will assist their customer/users with competition methodology (Jambo, Fast Eddy, Country, etc.) but most do not.

So, there's "the rest of the story".  I love my PBC but will likely never do a lot of competing with it because I'd have to have several (not a lot of space/access for competition) and with two pellet cookers (two temps, one for the long cook, one for the short cook) I get the job done easier. 

Hub

Hey Hub, what do you want to know? We will help anyway we can, give us a call or send us an email :) We are available anytime. - Amber