Author Topic: First run with the PBC  (Read 1866 times)

Offline jabby

First run with the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
Sorry no pictures. I'm juggling kids/family and didn't have time. Also, I'm pretty new at this - I currently have a cheapo gas grill and the most complicated thing I've made is probably wings (which I tend to burn but they still taste good). I'm going into detail here and while I understand I could simply call Noah on his cell with any questions, I didn't bother and figured I could figure it out and learn after if necessary.

So the PBC arrived yesterday (Saturday) via Fed Ex at 3:15 or so. I already bought charcoal on Friday, 2 whole chickens and a 8 pound pork shoulder Saturday morning. I lined the bottom with foil (careful not to cover the airhole which I adjusted for my altitude of 800' to 1/4). Since it was late and the kids were going to be hungry, I decided to just go with the chickens. Fired up the charcoal, using a weber starter.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8

The starter was pretty big and dumping the hot coals into the charcoal basket didn't work out so well. It was too big to simply dump them within the barrel with the charcoal basket in place at the bottom. After, I was thinking I could have raised the charcoal basket unto the grate and dumped onto them from above the barrel (which wouldn't have been far). Then, pick up the basket, lift out the grate and put the bsket back in. Didn't notice how Noah did it in the video and maybe he did that. I was too hyped up to look at the videos again.

I split the chickens just like the video said. I'd never dealt with whole chickens before (I've done a thanksgiving bird) so cutting it was a bit intimidating. Until I realized how easy it was to go through the bone. I also didn't have a big enough cutting board for 2 whole birds but I'll get a new one.

Seasoned with the beef and game seasoning and popped them in the cooker. I looked in a few times and everything looked fine. I didn't bother monitoring the temperature, figuring this was the simplest of all cooks and just was going to go by 2 hours in the vid.

After 2 hours, I went with my thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2

I don't remember what anyone else said for a temperature, but I saw that on the FDA and Food network sites - sorry was the quickest reference I could find - it said 165-175. I think that's the safety range. When I popped the thermometer into one of the birds, it said 193. So that freaked me out a little. Did I overcook them? Was my thermometer wrong? Was I measuring them wrong?  They were dark (again sorry no pics) but I wasn't sure. Whatever, I'm ok with learning. And it wasn't like I was gonna have raw poultry so I was comfortable with that.

Of course when I went to pull the birds, I ended up dropping one half. But since I made 2 full birds, then it was just a lesson learned.

So I brought the birds in. They didn't come apart as easily as Noah's did in the video. The wings more or less fell apart at the second joint or something like that and the breast a bit tougher. But on the 3rd half, the breast came right apart as expected which was good. So maybe I just needed to let them rest longer.

Overall: the chicken was likely the best I've ever had. I have three kids and they complain about everything, so the bar is low for their acceptance but they liked it. More importantly, both my wife and I were impressed. The cook was relatively simple which, as you can tell from this post, is important for me.

I'm very pleased and am going with the pork shoulder today. I'm a big NFL fan and my boys (I'm not saying who it is because I doubt they are liked here lol) are on at 1 so I'll be starting my cook around noon. Going to rewatch the videos this morning.

I'm very happy with my purchase so far and would recommend it for (1) those who like playing with fire, (2) those with any skill level and (3) those who like to eat.  That's a nice wide demographic.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:25:27 AM by jabby »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First run with the PBC
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »
I like the lighter fluid method that Noah has on the PBC site. Much easier, safer and just darn fun.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
First run with the PBC
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »
Make sure and always remember to use the  hook remover tool. The hooks can be quite hot as heck when removing them.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I FOUND OUT MULTIPLE TIMES ;) ;D

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk which will only let me upload 6 pics only. STUPID UPDATE!!
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pappymn

First run with the PBC
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
I'm not a set it and forget guy. I would run a probe to the meat.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »
The probe lead can exit through the holes that hold the rebar and the horseshoe handle will hold your thermo. Also remember to keep the rebar in when you are only using the cooking grate. This will insure that the PBC runs at its maximum efficiency.

If you foil line the bottom of the barrel, clean up is a snap and the bottom of your barrel will stay clean and you wont have the dreaded "Sandy Trail" down the inside of the PBC.................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
The size of the coal bed and lighting is critical to maintain the same results every time. I really like just loading the coal basket to the top and level then following Noah's lighting procedure using Kingsford lighter fluid.

After 20 minutes the coal bed is perfectly ready and all the fluid has burned off. Also I always get the same cooking temps this way so my times are usually spot on.

There is also a proper adjustment of the air opening according to your elevation...

Sea level up to 2,000 feet – adjust the vent cap to 1/4 way open
2,000 to 5,000 feet – adjust the vent cap to 1/2 way open
5,000 to 8,000 feet – adjust the vent cap to 3/4 way open
8,000 feet and above – adjust the vent cap to make sure it is all the way open

Although they adjust the position from the factory for you it might have moved during shipping so verify it is open to the proper position.

And as Smoke stated it is important to re-install the rebar back in even if your just using the grill rack. The PBC is designed to produce the same results with them in place because they reduce the opening size of the air flow holes.

Congrats on your PBC and your going to have some fantastic food coming from it.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
FWIW - I am with Smoke, Noah, and Amber - just use the method on the website - lighter fluid. After 20 minutes, it's gone. It's easy and always works.

I've started putting the foil around the bottom of the basket vs. trying to line the entire base of the cooker. It's easier and makes clean-up easier.

I did try using a thermometer to measure my cooks initially, but found it wasn't needed - 2 hours, the chicken is done. I do still confirm it with an instant read before removing them, but have never been wrong.

Finally, resting is important. When I've rushed things, the bird fell apart and the juices were everywhere. Let them rest and they come apart as they should and are moist and perfect. I love my PBC...  :D

I'm glad your first cook was so good and I am sure you'll have many more - next time I hope you have time to get pictures!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
FWIW - I am with Smoke, Noah, and Amber - just use the method on the website - lighter fluid. After 20 minutes, it's gone. It's easy and always works.

I've started putting the foil around the bottom of the basket vs. trying to line the entire base of the cooker. It's easier and makes clean-up easier.

I did try using a thermometer to measure my cooks initially, but found it wasn't needed - 2 hours, the chicken is done. I do still confirm it with an instant read before removing them, but have never been wrong.

Finally, resting is important. When I've rushed things, the bird fell apart and the juices were everywhere. Let them rest and they come apart as they should and are moist and perfect. I love my PBC...  :D

I'm glad your first cook was so good and I am sure you'll have many more - next time I hope you have time to get pictures!

I think my heart just skipped a beat when I read "lighter fluid."  ???
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »

I think my heart just skipped a beat when I read "lighter fluid."  ???

Well I think that people make a couple different mistakes when using lighter fluid..

1. They buy the cheap stuff. There is a difference. The Kingsford brand is the best when it comes to burning off completely.

2. People let the lighter fluid soak into the coals before lighting. Big mistake. You want the fluid to burn off so light it right away.

3. They do not use enough lighter fluid or cover all the coals completely. This will cause some fluid not to burn off and soak in.

And last they do not give enough time for the coals to be ready. So if you don't wait long enough the fluid will not be completely burned off.

I used lighter fluid for starting the coals on the PBC and do not find any lighter fluid taste when following Noah's lighting instructions.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jabby

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
Thanks all for your comments,  but I'm going to stick with no lighter fluid. I bought the starter and it should be a simple process after the first time.

I like the foil around the basket tip. Good stuff.

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
Jabby- Thanks for the post, definitely take advantage of our customer service I don't know of another company out there that provides it like we do and it looks like you are busy so the fastest way to trouble shoot it would be to call us direct. If you follow the instructions included and watch the videos you should have amazing food everytime. Depending on where you live cook times might be a little different due to elevation but after a few cooks you will have that down too. The All purpose Pit rub is awesome on the chicken (that's what we recommend) so give that a try next time. Again, thank you for the post and the business, let us know if you have any further questions. PBC Co. - Amber