Author Topic: FoodSaver - Hindsight is 20/20  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Cinredman

FoodSaver - Hindsight is 20/20
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
Hello fellow BBQr's,
I need to take the plunge and purchase a foodsaver (vacuseal) device. Before I make the plunge, I would greatly value hearing from those who already own one of the various models. Specifically, what you love, hate and wish for with your device.

Looking at the various models, like cars, there are a bunch of "add-ons" and features, but I am wondering if the the KISS(Keep it simple stupid) principle doesn't apply.

Thanks in advance!
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: FoodSaver - Hindsight is 20/20
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »
I think that the KISS principle is well applied here.  I have a more expensive model foodsaver, that has the automatic start up, etc., and I do not use it anymore.  It was sometimes hard to get the bags to position properly to start, and the vacuum would continue to run, and the seal function would not automatically start.  I bought the cheapest 2200 series, and it has to be operated manually, but I use it all the time.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
I am with cookie on this. I try to share my experiences with the Foodsavers when someone asks.

In short - the one that I bought 12 years ago  ( which is the simple horizontal style that holds a roll of bag material) still works well. The one I bought last year ( current - in vogue vertical, black and shiny metal one, with the bag sensor, etc...) has been replaced twice. The second time they replaced it - I used it as a gift for someone else ;D.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »
Like Tim, we have the 12 yr old horizontal model that works great for our simple vacuum bagging needs.

KISS has worked well for us...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
I should probably add a bit more information with respect to the thinks I "expect" to be sealing up.  Now that we have two in college, it is no longer making much sense to cook up 3 slabs of ribs in one sitting. Oh wait, let me rephrase. It does make sense...to my neighbors :-)

1. Individual Beef Tenderloin steaks - I purchase the whole tenderloin and portion out steaks at home. I would freeze the filets in individual packages
2. Pork Ribs - Same as #1, purchase 3 slabs per pack, portion into 1/2 slabs for easy grab, thaw, cook.
3. Prepared foods, such as BBQ beef and pork
4. Lasagna - my dear lovely wife makes the best, but as stated above, 1/2 would be portioned and frozen for later.
5. Chicken parts; thighs, legs, breasts
6. Fresh caught fish; Northern Pike, perch, pan fish

Also, I can only assume you can "Poach" food sealed in bags; right?  Something like a filet of fish, lemon slices, fresh thyme...

Agan, thank you for all the responses; I'm also searching the forum as not to be labeled "lazy" :-)

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
I, too have the old horizontal style. I use it for the very things you describe - especially the fresh fish (we take it to the lake to package our limits of fish.) It has worked great for years.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
This is the one I bought my daughter.
Small footprint but manual closure.

FoodSaver V3240 Vertical Vacuum Sealer, White
by FoodSaver See the Amazon Page for this brand
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
I'm with the others about keeping it simple and basic.  I have the Foodsaver Gamesaver Deluxe which is a manual horiz. model and it works flawlessly.  I use it for sous vide.  For leftovers, throw a frozen one pound package of pulled pork into a pot of boiling water, turn it to low, and 15 minutes later it's lunch time.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
I just have a cheep a$$ Seal-A-Meal.  It gets the jobs done fine.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
I'm with the others about keeping it simple and basic.  I have the Foodsaver Gamesaver Deluxe which is a manual horiz. model and it works flawlessly.  I use it for sous vide.  For leftovers, throw a frozen one pound package of pulled pork into a pot of boiling water, turn it to low, and 15 minutes later it's lunch time.

X2 on Gamesaver...love it
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »
... The one I bought last year ( current - in vogue vertical, black and shiny metal one, with the bag sensor, etc...) has been replaced twice. The second time they replaced it - I used it as a gift for someone else ;D.

I have the shiny one too, but if you do more than 2-3 items at a single sitting, the thing stops developing vacuum for some reason (although the motor is still running).  It then seals the bag still full of air.  If you let it rest before continuing, then it appears to work okay.  It may be new and shiny looking, but beneath it is still an old timer, kind of like Susan Lucci

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
shiny looking, but beneath it is still an old timer, kind of like Susan Lucci

Funniest analogy I have heard! :D :D :D...pretty darned accurate too ;) ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Albert Rivera

• Albert is a"Foodie"
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »
I purchased the V3460 Food Saver only one year ago, but it has worked flawlessly every time!

For what it is worth, I polled the forum members and I was told I could not go wrong with the food saver models.

I have never placed entire ribs or fish in the bags. 

When I smoke chicken quarters, I do two per bag and it does fine!

I boil the bag, cut open and serve contents.

I feel no need to upgrade nor anticipate any mechanical failure.
God bless you,
Albert

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
I think the newer models fail more when the user gets into "production" mode and do not allow a little cooling between sealing's. When I do a load of Bacon or Cheese I do let it rest about 90 seconds before sealing another bag. When you get into the pricier models aimed at hunters they can handle repeated sealing's as fast as you can feed it. I'm old and slow, so my 3840 does just fine.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
It does depend on the volume you intend to vac and seal at one time, and how patient you can be. Small batching, and no big rush - almost any unit will work.

Volume and pace are the key to longevity for the smaller or newer units.  BTW-Food Saver now makes a unit like the Cabela's CG-15. It will take the 15'' bags, and appears to be very heavy duty.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401