Author Topic: First Tri Tip and it's on the PBC!  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: First Tri Tip and it's on the PBC!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:33 AM »
So if you're supposed to fire up the PBC with a full load of charcoal and the tri tip only takes 35 minutes, what do you do with the rest of the charcoal?  Seems like a waste to just let it go for several hours until it burns down but no one ever seems to address that.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:41:31 AM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:53:48 AM »
Ka Honu, That is a fair point. Some times I will make something else, e.g. chicken to be saved for later. But for the most part, I don't have a good answer. But if I made the tri tip on my Weber or my 500x I would "waste" the balance of the charcoal as well. Maybe a bit less, but still.... Maybe some others have some ideas?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 03:03:16 AM »
I love tri tip and I love it rare, too, and I love brussel sprouts, so this looks like a perfect meal to me.

Ka Honu, That is a fair point. Some times I will make something else, e.g. chicken to be saved for later. But for the most part, I don't have a good answer. But if I made the tri tip on my Weber or my 500x I would "waste" the balance of the charcoal as well. Maybe a bit less, but still.... Maybe some others have some ideas?

I never tried it with other cookers, but it works fine with a ceramic grill: close all vents after cooking to stop the fire burning and use the remaining charcoal for the next use(s).

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd eat that.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sam3

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
Nice tri tip David. Looks excellent!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Sam3

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
So if you're supposed to fire up the PBC with a full load of charcoal and the tri tip only takes 35 minutes, what do you do with the rest of the charcoal?  Seems like a waste to just let it go for several hours until it burns down but no one ever seems to address that.

I read here, or on another forum, that you can pull the basket and dump the charcoal into a metal can. Then place a lid over the can to snuff out the burning charcoal. Then reuse the charcoal at a later date.
I personally have not tried it.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pappymn

First Tri Tip and it's on the PBC!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 07:26:28 AM »
Pow! Bet you have a little left over for Pappy. On my way! Looks perfect to me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Maybe a safer way to extinguish the coals is stuffing some HD foil in the bottom vent. Pulling out the rebar and doing the same to the top holes.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
I think the best way to extinguish the left over charcoal would be to either design a new charcoal basket that is designed so a lid can be placed on top of it with a solid enclosed bottom. When done you could place the lid over the basket.

Or place the existing basket into some form of metal housing that can have a lid.

I just let the excess charcoal burn out. A $12 bag of charcoal can get you around 3 cooks.

How much does charcoal cost on the island Turtle?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
man it looks so good.
I am so jealous .
my butcher can't cut tri tip for me . it is not a south african cut.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
I think the best way to extinguish the left over charcoal would be to either design a new charcoal basket that is designed so a lid can be placed on top of it with a solid enclosed bottom. When done you could place the lid over the basket.

Or place the existing basket into some form of metal housing that can have a lid.

I just let the excess charcoal burn out. A $12 bag of charcoal can get you around 3 cooks.

I suppose I could dump the basket into my Weber and close all the vents - actually, the whole basket might fit in the Weber. Will have to give that a try. I just wonder how this will impact the 20min start up time?
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
hi David i am new here but loved looking at your tri tip nice bark yet very pink inside spot on i did a 11 pound brisket sunday on my PBC so tender and juicy in just 6 hours it blew us away PBC rocks Russ
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
hi David i am new here but loved looking at your tri tip nice bark yet very pink inside spot on i did a 11 pound brisket sunday on my PBC so tender and juicy in just 6 hours it blew us away PBC rocks Russ

Thanks, Russ. I love the PBC as well. Haven't done a brisket yet - next on my list. I keep getting requests for chicken and pulled pork  ;) ;D ;D
If you can, take some pictures next time. I'd love to see them.
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
Pow! Bet you have a little left over for Pappy. On my way! Looks perfect to me

You are always welcome, Pappy! I'll PM the garage code.  ;) ;D
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »

I can buy the 16.6 lb bag of Kingsford Original for $11 so if I get three loads out if it, I probably won't worry about the waste. 

Just out of curiosity, any experience with using less than a full load or using other types of charcoal?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion