Author Topic: Sticky Fingers BBQ in Charleston, SC  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Pappymn

Sticky Fingers BBQ in Charleston, SC
« Reply #-1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
I'm in Charleston, SC for a couple of days for work. Have not been here in 15 years or so. Just a beautiful town with huge character and history.

Cab driver recommended this place, and it was only 2 blocks from my hotel.

I had the PP and Spare rib platter. Both served unsauced so I could sample the 5 different sauces they had.

The PP was good. Pretty moist and light smoke. The ribs were a bust. No bite and no flavor. Whatever rub they are using is lacking IMHO.  And if that was a half rack, then the pigs are smaller here ???

In 2010 they were voted "best ribs in Charleston"......but nothing since. I see why :(

Think I need to go see Captain and hang with him at Killians.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Sticky Fingers BBQ in Charleston, SC
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
Mustard sauce FTW!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
They have one of these just north of Chattanooga Tn.   Not bad but I can do better with my SRG's and a little foil. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
Head over and check out "Fuel" and the Hominy Grill.   Good eats!

And 82 Queen...    Get a seat in the courtyard if you can.   

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »
That's a shame.  I have fond memories of Sticky Fingers' "Memphis Dry" ribs circa 1999.  Sounds like they've gone downhill since then.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »
We were talking about this a few days ago. 
A few years back We would go to a bbq joint and think we were getting some great ribs or pp.  Now, since we are learning from y'all how to do our own, we find a lot of these places are just average - some not even avg.

Funny how that works, isn't it?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
A few years back We would go to a bbq joint and think we were getting some great ribs or pp.  Now, since we are learning from y'all how to do our own, we find a lot of these places are just average - some not even avg.

I agree, makes us a group of tough critics.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »

So true,I cant believe the ribs ya'll do on this forum.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
So true,I cant believe the ribs ya'll do on this forum.

Kind of puts some of the best BBQ joints to shame, doesn't it? ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
There are more GREAT restaurants in Charleston than you can shake a stick at....

BUt - NONE of them serve BBQ :D :D :D  Charleston is just not a BBQ town. But, plenty of fine seafood and and "Low Country" cooking.  Shrimp and grits at the Peninsula ....Pecan encrusted grouper at Magnolia's  and fine seafood at Shem Creek.... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »
I remember talking along these lines way back when with CB (another old forum).He was in Memphis for the May BBQ Fest . I gave him some names of BBQ joints I thought were good. He told me they tasted like cafeteria food, and he is right. Once you get used to good home BBQ, it is rare to find something out that is close to what you can do at home.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
I remember talking along these lines way back when with CB (another old forum).He was in Memphis for the May BBQ Fest . I gave him some names of BBQ joints I thought were good. He told me they tasted like cafeteria food, and he is right. Once you get used to good home BBQ, it is rare to find something out that is close to what you can do at home.
So true!    When Tee and Robert came to my house we took them to Big Bob Gibson's (yes the world champion Big Bob's)  and at best it' restaurant food  :(   You can not put the time and "love" into your cooking when dealing with so many folks in a restaurant.     

Yes, I know folks from Texas will disagree cause their brisket is the best around but overall BBQ and ribs are better homemade.   

Just my 2 cents, I'll sit down now
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
I agree with all. In fact when a special event, family birthday,  etc comes up I always ask which restaurant would you like to go to, the Mrs 99 times out of a 100 says yours, what are you going to make? And I'm usually happier in an apron and a beer than I would be in a stuffy restaurant anyway so we all get our way!   8)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Several years ago SWMBO made me stop going to restaurants that advertised Southern, Cajun, or BBQ food that I make at home. She said that with very few exceptions theirs isn't as good as mine and she didn't like listening and then having to agree with me when I bitched about it. If we do go to those places, I try to order mostly dishes that I don't make (usually because of unavailable ingredients or they require too much time and trouble for my lazy nature).

I'm obviously not a very fast learner since I occasionally go on a binge (like the two weeks I unsuccessfully tried to find good barbeque in Savannah). You'd think I'd learn but I guess "hope springs eternal."
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
I think smokeasaurus said it best, a while back, when he said that the best BBQ is in your own backyard.