Author Topic: Kickin' it old school on the WSM!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Kickin' it old school on the WSM!
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
I was running low on pellets and I didn't have enough in the Rec Tec hopper for a marathon cook (six butts & four slabs of St. Louis ribs), so I decided to break out the WSM to start the butts. Two butts were nearly 24 lbs.   ??? , so they get a head start. I plan to fire up the Rec Tec for the ribs & to finish a couple of butts in the morning.

Let's get the party started. Four of six butts getting happy. They will go on in a couple of hours. The two bigguns are already smoking on the WSM.

Here's a couple of hickory chunks, a couple of cherry chunks and some KBlue just starting about two hours ago. More of each wood buried in the coals. I should get 8-10 hours of good cooking out of one fully packed charcoal ring. And plenty of smoke too.

Here's how I deal with my WSM lid. This keeps it off the patio and doesn't make a mess.

After about an hour and a half. Steady as she goes, cap'n! My WSM will creep up over time, so I have to check it every couple of hours. If it gets too out of hand, I can close all three bottom vents and it will drop down fairly quickly.

More to come as the cook progresses. Going to take a nap, then pull the membrane & rub the ribs, and get them going in the early morning hours. Some time after sunup, I will start a bunch of wings on the grill for a pan of Teriyaki wings. Oh, and a pan of BBQ smoker beans. I forgot how much I like smoking on my WSM.

Hope everyone has a happy Fourth of July, and please take a moment to remember our Founding Fathers who made this country possible. Be safe, and I wish everyone a safe and delicious weekend!   8)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Kickin' it old school on the WSM!
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
God Bless the USA and the WSM.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
Sounds good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
Boy wish I could make it up your way, but I have to eat with the in-laws    ??? ??? ??? ???     Think about me when your enjoying the day  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
more pics
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:39:19 AM »
More pics as the cook progresses. I moved the two bigger butts to the Rec Tec after a few hours. Cruising along just fine.

Ribs rubbed and ready to go on.

Ribs on the Rec Tec.

Butt ready to rest. Just about 14 hrs., which is what I was figuring since it was nearly 12 lbs. to start with.

After a couple hours rest. Ready to pull.

Pan of BBQ beans just off the smoker. I added a generous handful of leftover pulled pork from the freezer.

I also had somebody ask for wings. Ask and ye shall receive. These are on the WSM. Since I had a good number of coals left over, I just removed the foiled water pan & added a few wings, as well as cooking a bunch on the Rec Tec.

Here are wings on the Rec Tec. It really does great poultry.

Sorry, no pulled pics. Some folks showed up early and I was pulling in a hurry! Have a fun, safe & festive Fourth!    8)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:50:39 PM by tnjimbob »
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:30:42 AM »
Looks impressive. I love to see how people solve cooking scenarios that pop up when things are a little different.

Also like to see how folks use their Amazen Tube to supplement.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
mmm mmm good!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »
Looking good so far.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
Looking good.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.