Author Topic: Need help deciding between two pellet grills  (Read 4805 times)

Offline mikealec

Need help deciding between two pellet grills
« Reply #-1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »
Hello all. This is my first post since just joining, so please excuse me if this subject has been beaten to death. I started out with a charcoal wood burner and recently purchased a kamodo type cooker. This summer my brother purchased a Traeger, and invited me over. I could not believe the ease of use compared to mine. So I have been reading up on pellet smokers. I think I have narrowed it down to the Rec Tec and Yoder YS640 for my price range and cooking space. Everything I have read, both owners love their grills. My question is do any of you own both or have cooked on both, If so I would love to hear your thoughts. From the videos I have watched it appears the Yoder puts out more smoke, but its hard to tell on video. Thank you very much in advance for any info. Mike

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Need help deciding between two pellet grills
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
My 2 cents, get the Rec -Tec hard to beat the price and warranty
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »
I have owned both, and there may be others here that have as well. I can tell you they are both good. I still have the Rec Tec, and do not foresee letting it get away from here. Smoke is a function of burn efficiency. In other words - the lower the temp, the better the smoke out put...to a point of extenguishment of the burn. Smoke output is not the strongest suit for either of these - but think they were adequate in that area. It is cheap to add an Amazen Smoker to any pit and amp up smoke production.
Let's consider the build, and the controllers. That is where the rubber meets the road ( or the meat hits the grate! :D )

The Yoder is the heaviest built pellet grill for it's  cooking area/capacity. Built by a company that makes the best in offset stick burners in my opinion. Made with 10 gauge steel, and all fabricated in the the USA. There is a "feel good" about it and the company's attention to quality fit and finish.
It is considerably more expensive than the Rec Tec. Do you get more?  Well..let's look a little further....

The Rec Tec is not built in the USA. But it is built in a plant that is tightly controlled by Rec Tec. The steel high temp powder coated, and a little thinner than the Yoder. But - I need to point out an un-comfortable fact here:  thicker steel does not hold heat better...
Allow me to explain this - steel is a very good conductor of electricity isn't it? And - just like with electricity, it is very thermally conductive. Ever accidentally put your hand on a smoker with the fire going inside it? What happens? the heat energy passes thru the steel like wind thru a screen door. Which happens almost immediately. So - the theory of "thicker steel holds more heat" is a wive's tale. The steel will soak up thermal energy until it begins to pass it thru to the unheated space ( exotherm ).  You pay big to heat up a pit that is built with very thick steel. And - you don't get it back in efficiency - because after you quit cooking the steel continues the exothermic process until it can reach equilibrium with the air temperature outside the cooker.
So thicker is not always better for cooking.
And..it took 5 lbs. of pellets and hour if I wanted to run the Yoder at it's top temperature of 600F as a side note ;)

The controllers: Rec Tec uses a controller that is made by the company that makes controllers for Louisiana, Memphis, and a couple of others. It works very, very well, keeping temp swings usually to less than 5F.
The Yoder controller is designed by Yoder....I refer to my above statement to remind you that they do in fact make what I feel is the premium quality built offset smokers.....but the controller on the YS640?.... :-\ :-[ I want to say they are on version 26(?) firmware update....

When you set both grills side by side and compare a few things - you notice that the fire pot on the Yoder is on the left extremity. Like an offset. But, because we use fans, and electronic to control our temps in these units....Why? I think that the design parentage of the venerable offsets influenced this. But it does not help you get even temperatures across the pit. It is not uncommon to experience 50-70F from one side of the pit to the other. Good? Bad? ...You decide. Think about how you cook, and intend to use your pit.
The Yoder uses a stainless fire pot. The Rec Tec does as well, and a 10 ga. stainless heat deflector, and pellet auger, and 10 ga.  stainless drip pan. The Rec Tec pan has not warped. That was not the case with the Yoder. The Rec Tec has a 40 lb. pellet hopper. So it can take an entire bag of pellets. The Yoder holds 20.
Rec Tec also has a useful light in the cooking chamber. I thought it was kind of "gimmicky" at first  - but I confess - it is darned useful at night. 8)

So - my bottom line opinion came to this:

Dependability, cost, and cost of operation, even grate temps. became more important to me than a heavy pit -  that the body may in fact never burn out from your use. But, I don't think the Rec Tec will either. And - it is a good looking pit to boot. Spousal appeal is an important factor ;) :D
The Yoder will reach 600F while the Rec Tec only 500F But....a set of grill grates on my Rec Tec, and I can sear steaks at well below 500F. For much lower rule consumption.

The warranties on both are good. The customer service I have received from Rec Tec has been unbelievable. The Rec Tec in my opinion is a better performing, better priced, better looking pit.

And - as a disclaimer:I bought both pits. No gifts. Both companies make good products. I still have the Rec Tec. ;) 8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:04:55 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikealec

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »
Thank you Tee for your detailed response. Did you notice if one or the other gives a better smoke flavor? I understand that pellet smokers produce a more mild smoke flavor. Also can you add a top shelf on the Rec Tec? Thanks again, Mike

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
I have had a Yoder YS480 and a Rec Tec at the same time. The Rec Tec hands down is the better of the two. The Yoder performs extremely well . So does the Rec Tec. Rec Tec has a top notch controller. I purposely replaced parts on the Rec Tec and very simple to do if and when the time comes.  With the Yoder thermal blanket on, the Yoder could not even come close to the Rec Tec in terms of pellet consumption. 1/4 inch steel is not crucial when it comes to pellet grills. Mak and Memphis and Cookshack are in the 16 gauge range so that tells ya something. You get a 40 lb hopper. Heavy gauge SS where needed (fir-pot, deflector, drip pan. Cool horn handles. Same as cash financing.  Buy a Yoder Stick Burner. Buy a Rec Tec pellet grill. 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikealec

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
Thanks a lot Smoke, I appreciate your Information, Mike

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
The Rec Tec has a huge grilling area where a second rack (at least in my case) was never needed. Smoker tubes are great for all pellet grills. If you want a pellet grill that can pump out the smoke, look at Camp Chef. That sucker smokes more than the Marlboro Man  ;)    Ok, Smoke is off his soap-box. If you do get a Yoder, you better buy your pellets by the pallet. You are going to tear through them.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Like Smoke said -
 Add an Amazen Smoker to any pellet grill to get more smoke flavor. But what you will typically find once you get into pellet cooking is that the smoke is a supportive flavor for the meat. Not the other way around :). You can add it easy enough, but you can't take it down a notch if you have too much.

I think I give the edge in smoke production to the Rec Tec at it's lowest temp. setting.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikealec

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
Thanks folks for all your help

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
Most welcome! That is just what we like to do here. Share real user experiences!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »
Not much I can add. Looks like you have been given some great information.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:09 AM »
Allow me to explain this - steel is a very good conductor of electricity isn't it? And - just like with electricity, it is very thermally conductive. Ever accidentally put your hand on a smoker with the fire going inside it? What happens? the heat energy passes thru the steel like wind thru a screen door. Which happens almost immediately. So - the theory of "thicker steel holds more heat" is a wive's tale. The steel will soak up thermal energy until it begins to pass it thru to the unheated space ( exotherm ).  You pay big to heat up a pit that is built with very thick steel. And - you don't get it back in efficiency - because after you quit cooking the steel continues the exothermic process until it can reach equilibrium with the air temperature outside the cooker.

My head hurts, I think I'll go back to Luminosity exercises.  ::) :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »
My 2 cents, get the Rec -Tec hard to beat the price and warranty

I agree w/ tommy. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mikealec

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
Thank you all very much, this is an awesome group. I purchased a Rec Tec today. They told me they have a new controller with an extreme smoke feature, He said it pulses the fan. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks again to everyone that responded, I look forward to being able to help others someday.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Thank you all very much, this is an awesome group. I purchased a Rec Tec today. They told me they have a new controller with an extreme smoke feature, He said it pulses the fan. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks again to everyone that responded, I look forward to being able to help others someday.
Great choice!  Hope you said your a member here  ;)   We like our sponsors
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION