Author Topic: Installed new auger motor in my Treager  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Installed new auger motor in my Treager
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
Mar 12 2015

Back at the end of December when it was warm enough that I installed my new Savannah Stoker v.3 controller I noted something wrong with the cooling fan blade on the auger motor. Looking close I could see it was actually broken. I was able to place it back on the shaft and get that days cook done with no problems.

I got a new auger motor ordered from Traeger and thought while I was at it I would get a spare hot rod too. The auger motor fan probably could have been glued and repaired. It had lasted me over four years so I wanted a new one and will keep the old for a spare.

I got the auger motor changed out yesterday and did a four hour smoke today on some pastrami that I will finish tomorrow.

The Traeger is pretty easy to work on and changing the auger motor is about a half hour job. First empty all the pellets from the pellet bin down to where you can see the auger. You will need a small table to lay the pellet hopper on. There should be enough wire harness you can leave all hooked up and lay down while you change the motor.

You will see 4 phillips head sheet metal screws holding the pellet hopper to the barrel; two in the front and two in the back. When you get them out the pellet hopper will lift off the auger feed tube and you can lay it down.

You simply unplug the old auger motor and there is one allen head machine bolt holding the motor shaft to the auger bushing. It has a nylon lock nut on the bottom. Since you won’t have the auger loose from the bushing it should stay in alignment. When you get the old one removed just bolt the new shaft in place and plug in the electrical hook up and you are ready to reassemble.

When you get the pellet hopper re-fastened in place check underneath and make sure all the wires are clear of the fans and you are ready to go.

Here is the broken fan blade I will re-glue in place and keep for a spare

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:09:30 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Installed new auger motor in my Treager
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
Thanks Don. This will be a big help for us Traeger owners when we have a repair come up  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:36:58 PM »
Don I believe that the blades function as a guide to measure rotations for calibration and not a fan.

The auger spins too slow for it to provide any cooling.

Very good job and guide on replacement.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing Don, this is a very informative post with great photos and details. I don't have a Treager, but my older brother does, so I will forward this post onto him. 
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:59:35 PM »
Don I believe that the blades function as a guide to measure rotations for calibration and not a fan.

The auger motor runs pretty fast and is coupled with a gear box that reduces to the auger run speed. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:24:18 AM »

The auger motor runs pretty fast and is coupled with a gear box that reduces to the auger run speed. Don

Ok I am mistaken. I thought it was a guide and did not serve for cooling. I remember the one in my junior did not spin fast enough to create cooling when the auger was on.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven