Author Topic: KARUBECUE has landed  (Read 175345 times)

Histrix

Re: KARUBECUE has landed
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »
I have no pictures of the KBQ's first cook. It was 6 whole chickens for a friend. I not only have no pics to share but I don't even know if it was good or not, lol. I hung three of them from hooks ala PBC style and the other three I put on top of the grate that the chickens were hanging from. Cooked them at around 300° the whole time. It smelled good at least!

In just a few minutes I am about to throw a 10.xx (before trimming) packer brisket on there to do a comparison cook. We have a 15.xx (beofre trimming) packer on the Smokin-It #3 as I type this. Went on last night. I will be cooking the KBQ a little hotter to compensate the time difference. We'll see how it goes! There WILL be pictures this time!

I found no real advantage to hanging whole chickens. I now either just plop them on a grid or put them on a stand. The next whole chickens I cook on mine I'm going to spatchcock.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2016, 07:42:01 PM »
I just did it because I could ;) They looked great, and according to my friend that I cooked them for, they tasted awesome!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #496 on: August 28, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »
Well RG here I am and I read all 34 pages and looked at all the pictures and licked the screen a couple of times. I told the ole lady a new smoker is coming soon as she just gives me a look and walks away cause she knows when I want some thing it's just a matter of time before UPS pulls in to drop it off.

But a ? For Biggs do you spritz your food while cooking? Cause all your food looks wet and juicy?
DEADEYEDANIEL
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline RG

« Reply #497 on: August 29, 2016, 10:08:16 PM »
I can't answer for Biggs so I'll let him say but I have yet to spritz, mop anything. I did glaze a whole chicken though :)

The KBQ does a nice job making food juicy but you're right on the money about Biggs cooks, they all make you want to grab them out of the monitor!!

If you have anyone near you that can deliver fire wood, go ahead and getcha some! I had an 8ft truck bed full of hickory and oak delivered waiting on me to cook when my KBQ arrived. Found a guy on Craigslist who delivered it and unloaded it for $120.00! It'll last me a good long while.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #498 on: August 30, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
I can't answer for Biggs so I'll let him say but I have yet to spritz, mop anything. I did glaze a whole chicken though :)

The KBQ does a nice job making food juicy but you're right on the money about Biggs cooks, they all make you want to grab them out of the monitor!!

If you have anyone near you that can deliver fire wood, go ahead and getcha some! I had an 8ft truck bed full of hickory and oak delivered waiting on me to cook when my KBQ arrived. Found a guy on Craigslist who delivered it and unloaded it for $120.00! It'll last me a good long while.
The KBQ uses short chunks not whole splits. If you don't have a chainsaw & even if you do get you wood supplier to cut to appropriate length.its a lot of cutting to make chunks out of a 1/2 cord of regular length splits
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline RG

« Reply #499 on: August 30, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
LA, don't come in here with all those good points, we don't need logic to get in the way of irrational thinking, lol  ;D ;D

In all seriousness. I asked my guy to bring me the top of the trees, smaller pieces. So while I do have some true splits that I'll have to reduce and I also have a lot on round branch pieces that I have just cut down to size using my miter saw. So far so good! Like you've said, it's a labor of love. This pit isn't for everybody!

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #500 on: August 30, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
Well lucky for me I burn wood so I have chain saws and log splitter. Last fall 2 buddies of mine had trees taken down in there yards and now I have a lot of silver maple and pig hickory.
Is silver maple good for smoking?
Is pig hickory good for smoking?
Also have a lot of ash but I never hear anybody use it to smoke.
While turkey hunting this year (right across the road from the house) I found a cherry tree snapped in half from a storm that the farmer said I could have but have to wait for the crops to come off to get back there.
Buy having the tools and wood is why the KBQ appeals to me for my next real smoker!!!!!!!
I tried to post pics but it would not load them.

Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Histrix

« Reply #501 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »
Well lucky for me I burn wood so I have chain saws and log splitter. Last fall 2 buddies of mine had trees taken down in there yards and now I have a lot of silver maple and pig hickory.
Is silver maple good for smoking?
Is pig hickory good for smoking?
Also have a lot of ash but I never hear anybody use it to smoke.
While turkey hunting this year (right across the road from the house) I found a cherry tree snapped in half from a storm that the farmer said I could have but have to wait for the crops to come off to get back there.
Buy having the tools and wood is why the KBQ appeals to me for my next real smoker!!!!!!!
I tried to post pics but it would not load them.

Be sure to keep this chart from the KBQ site in mind: http://www.kbq.us/wood-selection/

You'll want to keep the coaling qualities of your wood in mind since that is how "the magic" happens.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #502 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
This thread is going to get me in serious trouble.......

Offline DWard51

« Reply #503 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »
Hmmmmm.....  There is a used one offered on Amazon for $800.00 plus $59.49 shipping from CA.  Offer says it is unused, but amazon policies prevent it from being sold "new". Seller profile looks, well a little sketchy, as there is not much info.  But it is through amazon, so is it protected like their other "related seller" offers?   Sure is tempting, but that seller profile and listing info are suspect.

Edit.... OK, I sent the retailer a question via the Amazon system.  I may have to pull the trigger if the response is good, but my "old guy spider sense" is telling me this is another one of the pop-up scam sellers.  Like I said, this thread is going to get me into trouble....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:20:35 PM by DWard51 »

Histrix

« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »
Hmmmmm.....  There is a used one offered on Amazon for $800.00 plus $59.49 shipping from CA.  Offer says it is unused, but amazon policies prevent it from being sold "new". Seller profile looks, well a little sketchy, as there is not much info.  But it is through amazon, so is it protected like their other "related seller" offers?   Sure is tempting, but that seller profile and listing info are suspect.

Edit.... OK, I sent the retailer a question via the Amazon system.  I may have to pull the trigger if the response is good, but my "old guy spider sense" is telling me this is another one of the pop-up scam sellers.  Like I said, this thread is going to get me into trouble....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200783670

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #505 on: September 02, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »

Unless I am mistaken ( happens everyday... :D ) YOU are only protected if it is a product that qualifies for Amazon Prime...This one does not. So.....Be careful out there on the www inter-webs....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Histrix

« Reply #506 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »

Unless I am mistaken ( happens everyday... :D ) YOU are only protected if it is a product that qualifies for Amazon Prime...This one does not. So.....Be careful out there on the www inter-webs....

I'm guessing you didn't actually read the info on the page I provided a link to.

To wit:

About A-to-z Guarantee

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Payments; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #507 on: September 03, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »

I'm guessing you didn't actually read the info on the page I provided a link to.

To wit:

About A-to-z Guarantee

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Payments; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

I read it. So - have you ordered it? Let us know when you get it. We need more KBQ smokers around here. They turn out some great food!

And - About this ...

To wit:

Careful with the tone. We are all friends here - or at least that it is my intent for this site. Use of smileys/emoticons will help others know there is no "attitude" in your posts.......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Histrix

« Reply #508 on: September 03, 2016, 12:35:25 AM »

To wit:

About A-to-z Guarantee

I read it. So - have you ordered it? Let us know when you get it. We need more KBQ smokers around here. They turn out some great food!

And - About this ...

To wit:

Careful with the tone. We are all friends here - or at least that it is my intent for this site. Use of smileys/emoticons will help others know there is no "attitude" in your posts.......

No tone intended. "To wit" is just another way of saying "specifically" (http://grammarist.com/usage/to-wit/). I used that to highlight the specific /relevant paragraph of text on the linked Amazon page which clearly states that the A-Z guarantee was not an Amazon Prime specific benefit.