Author Topic: Strip Steaks, Muffin Pan Potatoes and Peas  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Strip Steaks, Muffin Pan Potatoes and Peas
« Reply #-1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »
Oct 03 2015

It was a wet, windy, cold fall day here today. I was glad I wanted to do this cook inside. I was out to my butchers the other day and he had some nice strip steaks on special for $8.69 each. I picked out two that was almost an inch thick. The two weighed right at 2 pounds.

I have not had strip steaks in ages. I find them a little on the tough side unless you get good ones and prefer rib eyes. I wanted to do them in cast iron but the steaks were too large for my 10 inch skillet so used my 12 inch Lodge carbon steel.

I have been reading a lot lately on dry brining, marinating, with salt and must say I like the method. I was adding a little coarse salt to both sides and letting set on a rack in the fridge for an hour. I am kind of in agreement with a couple of cooks that say you just need to get them out just long enough to salt and let them set for 20 minutes. That is just long enough to draw some water out to help in the browning process. I don’t rinse the salt off like some do. I don’t use heavy salt seasoning and don’t find them too salty.

I had about 3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes from Bob Evans that needed used. I mixed in an egg, about a cup of shredded cheddar and about 2 tablespoons of fresh snipped chives from my garden. I divided them between 4 muffin pan wholes; topped with some more cheese and chives and added some bacon butter to two of them.  They went into the oven at 370 deg. for 35 to 40 minutes. My other side was some peas.

I had some Weber’s Chicago steak seasoning to use; for mine I mixed in a teaspoon of Folger’s Gourmet Supreme dark roast coffee to 2 teaspoons of the seasoning. I was not going to add the seasoning until near the end of the cook to keep from burning it.

When I got the potatoes in the oven I got the steaks out and salted both sides with some gray sea salt. I heated my lodge CS skillet on medium high, just one notch above medium, for 8 minutes. I then added 2 teaspoons of grape seed oil; enough to just coat the pan.

I added the steaks and after 2 minutes I added the seasoning to the top side; after 3 minutes I flipped them and repeated the process. When both sides were in for 3 minutes I added a chunk of bacon butter and let melt. I tipped the skillet and basted some with a spoon over the steaks, flipped the steaks and added butter to the second side.

I removed the steaks to plates and topped with a pat of bacon butter. I got the potatoes out of the oven and had the peas cooking in the microwave. I served the wife and me along with some bread and butter.

The wife and I both thought the steaks were tender, juicy and just right med. rare. They were without a doubt the best strip steaks I ever cooked. We loved the potatoes in the muffin pan; that will be my go to method for leftover mashed potatoes. We like potato patties but these are a no fuss way while you tend to other cooking.

I am not sure I could really taste the coffee in my seasoning or not but it was good.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Strip Steaks, Muffin Pan Potatoes and Peas
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:12:10 AM »
SD, you knocked it out of the park. Beautiful strip steaks cooked perfectly.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:51:33 AM »
yummmmmmy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:41:38 AM by africanmeat »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »
Pretty close to a perfect meal right there.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
Pretty close to a perfect meal right there.

I agree!!!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
I'm gonna borrow the tater idea. Any problem with them coming out of the pan? And slide the little green Devils to Muebe
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Nice looking peas...

Great looking and sounding steaks - I like the potato idea as well. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
I'm gonna borrow the tater idea. Any problem with them coming out of the pan? And slide the little green Devils to Muebe
Yes pappy they didn't come out of the pan well. I messed my wife's up getting it out but did better with mine. I had sprayed the pan and they didn't stick just wanted to fall apart. They still taste good but doesn't make for a good presentation. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
It is raining "cats and dogs" here, while I read your post Don......perfect rainy day meal my friend  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

Yes pappy they didn't come out of the pan well. I messed my wife's up getting it out but did better with mine. I had sprayed the pan and they didn't stick just wanted to fall apart. They still taste good but doesn't make for a good presentation. Don

I had the same issue when I made potato pancakes. They just would not hold together. Tasted great, but not much to look at
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
The steaks looked great, Don.  And I'm on board with the peas.

But the muffin potatoes made me bookmark this one!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
Definately going on the rainy day list of cooks to do. I love all of it, I wonder if you could add the little green devils to the mashed tater cups? I like to mix my taters and peas any way.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
Definitely a filling meal!! What a clever idea with the potatoes!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/