Author Topic: Beef chuck or arm roast for Crockpot  (Read 520 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Beef chuck or arm roast for Crockpot
« Reply #-1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:33 AM »
Over the past 30 years I have cooked a lot of different variations of beef roasts in the Crockpot, mostly during the winter months. Doing one in a Crockpot is about the easiest way to get a very tender and moist beef. I have usually used a beef chuck, a blade chuck, 7 bone or chuck center and there are variations of these bone in or boneless. Cooking one in a Crockpot 8 to 10 hours is almost gauranteed success.

The only negative about a chuck roast is they have a lot of fat. A 3 pound  roast is just right for my 6 quart Crockpots, plenty of meat for 3 to 4 people and some leftovers. I like to buy all my meat from my butcher, all local grown beef. Sometimes it is hard to find a 3 pound roast I like and have used some from a local grocery that has certified black angus.

Doing a chuck roast I have to skim off some of the fat, use a gravy seperator or let it set in the fridge and skim off the excess fat when it sets up. I know some of you would say leave that fat in, it is flavor. I like some fat but not an excess.

The last 3 roasts I have done were arm, (shoulder) roasts. My butcher usually has a nice selection of arm roasts. I try to pick out one that has a little bit of marbleing and they all will have a little fat on one edge. They all turned out as good as any chuck I have done as far as being moist, tender and flavor. You get more meat for your money and don't have to worry about draining off some of the fat. I would say if you have the 8 to 10 hours then use an arm roast; If you just have 4 to 5 hours you might want to stay with a chuck roast. Either way I like to start them out with an hour on High and then down to Low for the rest of the cook.

The last one I did I was pressed for time, I wanted it on at least 8 hours so I didn't sear it first. I just got it in and cooking. The result was I don't think I could tell it had not been seared first. I saved time and a messy stove and an extra pan to clean up.

I miss our resident butcher Rumm, he could explain the different cuts better than I could. You also have to watch getting your meat from the chain groceries in the plastic wrap, they are experts at making it look lik a choice piece of meat and when you unwrap it you find a lot of fat and gristle on the bottom you bought! If you can find a local butcher you can buy from; their meat is usually fresh and hasn't been pumped with carbon dioxide to keep red.

SmokinDon
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Beef chuck or arm roast for Crockpot
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »
Don we do several thru the Winter months very much like you! Always satisfying, always enjoyed! ;D