Author Topic: Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars  (Read 2845 times)

Offline rwalters

Re: Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
No problem in cold weather here either. Coldest I've used ours so far is -3F. Worked like always. As I type this, there's a batch of beef short ribs in the 2 Star, and it's 20F and snowing like a son of a gun!.

Jeff
I love it, the ceramic kamado which is known to be a top notch cold weather cooker sits idle while the MAK does his thing. Great testimony to the ruggedness of the MAK :)

The Primo has pretty much been put on searing, and blistering hot pizza oven duty. Absolutely nothing like it, when it comes to making forge like heat for a quick steak sear. It really shines with finishing sous vide steaks. No flies on the 2 Star's searing ability, but realistically, it's never going to get as hot as charcoal running full tilt. If I could only own one or the other, I'd choose the MAK without question. Since I have the luxury of both, I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

Jeff
I hear ya! The biggest reason I have a Weber kettle w/ Slow n Sear sitting next to my MAK... it’s hard to beat a screaming hot lump charcoal sear.

If I didn't own the Cook-Air, which creates ridiculous sears, I would use a Weber for searing.  Not the kettle, the chimney.  Load it up, let it jet flame, and put a grate on top.  Meathead calls this the Afterburner Method.

Do you have any pics you can share of steaks coming off of your Cook-Air?  Would love to see the sear that it produces on steak!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
No problem in cold weather here either. Coldest I've used ours so far is -3F. Worked like always. As I type this, there's a batch of beef short ribs in the 2 Star, and it's 20F and snowing like a son of a gun!.

Jeff

I'll have to hunt them down.  But I will say this. I cooked up some Schweid & Son's premade Prime Burgers for last mothers day.  It is the only time in my life that I have ever bitten in a burger and felt two distinct crunches from the top and bottom sear crusts. 
I love it, the ceramic kamado which is known to be a top notch cold weather cooker sits idle while the MAK does his thing. Great testimony to the ruggedness of the MAK :)

The Primo has pretty much been put on searing, and blistering hot pizza oven duty. Absolutely nothing like it, when it comes to making forge like heat for a quick steak sear. It really shines with finishing sous vide steaks. No flies on the 2 Star's searing ability, but realistically, it's never going to get as hot as charcoal running full tilt. If I could only own one or the other, I'd choose the MAK without question. Since I have the luxury of both, I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

Jeff
I hear ya! The biggest reason I have a Weber kettle w/ Slow n Sear sitting next to my MAK... it’s hard to beat a screaming hot lump charcoal sear.

If I didn't own the Cook-Air, which creates ridiculous sears, I would use a Weber for searing.  Not the kettle, the chimney.  Load it up, let it jet flame, and put a grate on top.  Meathead calls this the Afterburner Method.

Do you have any pics you can share of steaks coming off of your Cook-Air?  Would love to see the sear that it produces on steak!
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »

Jeff

Jeff

I messed this up the first time. Here it is again for better readability:

I'll have to hunt them down.  But I will say this. I cooked up some Schweid & Son's premade Prime Burgers for last mothers day.  It is the only time in my life that I have ever bitten in a burger and felt two distinct crunches from the top and bottom sear crusts. 
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

Jeff

Jeff

I messed this up the first time. Here it is again for better readability:

You've got my interest!  How has the Cook-Air held up?  Kind of hard to tell what the overall quality of the unit is from looking at pics...

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
Not bad. Don't use it as much as I would like.

Oh, hotdogs are fantastic on it.  I love to char the outside fully black without overcooking the inside.  Plus it gives it just a kiss of smoke flavor. I think I'm making chili dogs tonight now.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »
Not bad. Don't use it as much as I would like.

Oh, hotdogs are fantastic on it.  I love to char the outside fully black without overcooking the inside.  Plus it gives it just a kiss of smoke flavor. I think I'm making chili dogs tonight now.
Oh YUM!!!  Chili Dogs are truly a gift from God :)

Offline skidog

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »
MMMmmm! Chili dogs! I've made about 8 in the last 2 weeks!  ;D
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt