Author Topic: How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Rec Tecs heat up very quickly and they are a large grill.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Curious to hear from others...
For this question, lets pretend that it is a pleasant day.  70 degrees, sunny and no wind.
You start up your pellet grill, and set the controller to 450 degrees.
My question:  Given this scenario, how long would it take from the moment you flip the switch until you are sitting at 450 degrees?  Also, what make/model if pellet grill are you cooking on?
Curious to hear what kind of pre-heat times others are experiencing.
For the record, on a 70 degree day, I expect my MAK to be sitting at 450 degrees at right around the 20 minute mark.
I know size of pit matters... thickness of steel matters... as does insulated vs non-insulated... as does type of wood pellets. 
So that leads to one more question.  Have you honestly found one type of pellet (maybe oak) to bring you up to desired grilling temps faster than another wood type (maybe cherry)?

Robb---since MAK switched over to the new FlameZone design last year, it's been my experience to go from turn on to 450F in as little as 17 minutes, but generally right around 20 minutes, which is half the time it used to take with the 2nd generation FZ system. I DO believe that the TYPE and BRAND of pellet you use does matter. Alder, Maple, Apple are all LOW BTU producing pellets. Oak, Mesquite, Hickory and Pecan are hotter BTUs and Cherry falls somewhere in the middle.  Personally, I use BEAR MOUNTAIN BBQ PELLETS. Have for decades (yeah, been cooking on pellet grills that long). They have always performed great, low ash and great smoke flavor.  My 2 favorite varieties are Pecan and Cherry.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
Today was that "perfect" day here in New Mexico...

Took 15 minutes on my Memphis Elite. I've got Lumber Jack Competition Blend pellets in there.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »

Took 15 minutes on my Memphis Elite. I've got Lumber Jack Competition Blend pellets in there.
15 mins to 450°? If yes, that’s impressive for a pit that big!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Ralphie

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
My new Rec Tec Stampede RT-590 was delivered yesterday.  I plan to assemble and fire it up this weekend.  I'll provide a rundown of everything I do with it...burn-in, heat up times, etc...
 Any advice on seasoning or what to cook while feeling things out?  I'm open to suggestions and would like a variety of items to work with that require different cooking temps. 
I want to put it to work to see how easily or quickly the set temps can adjust.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
My new Rec Tec Stampede RT-590 was delivered yesterday.  I plan to assemble and fire it up this weekend.  I'll provide a rundown of everything I do with it...burn-in, heat up times, etc...
 Any advice on seasoning or what to cook while feeling things out?  I'm open to suggestions and would like a variety of items to work with that require different cooking temps. 
I want to put it to work to see how easily or quickly the set temps can adjust.
Congrats!   I love my RT680 and I know you will love your RT590

I would start (after burn in and oiling the unit for the first time)  with can biscuits because you will find the hot and cool spots plus get a feel for the grill so see how it works  but thats just me.

Most folks call it the biscuit test for that reason
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »

Since last night was a guestimate, I thought I'd measure it tonight with a stopwatch. Outside temp was 72 degrees, very light breeze, less than 5mph. Burn pot started smoking at 1:45. I think it went to flame at around 3 minutes. At 10 minutes, temp was 280 and climbing fast. Here is the result as the temp passed the 450 degree mark...

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

How long does it take your pellet grill to come up to temp?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »

Since last night was a guestimate, I thought I'd measure it tonight with a stopwatch. Outside temp was 72 degrees, very light breeze, less than 5mph. Burn pot started smoking at 1:45. I think it went to flame at around 3 minutes. At 10 minutes, temp was 280 and climbing fast. Here is the result as the temp passed the 450 degree mark...

I love the speed and intensity of the Memphis! Very impressive!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)