Author Topic: Trying to choose a Air Fryer and way to many options  (Read 17963 times)

Offline zueth

Trying to choose a Air Fryer and way to many options
« Reply #-1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
I am looking at getting a air fryer but there are way to many out there and most seem to have good reviews.  I saw where cooks illustrated recommended the Phillips Digital Air Fryer so was looking at that also saw the GoWise 3.7 quart had good reviews and it seems a lot like the Power Air Fryer XL.  I want a fairly large one so I can go a bunch of fish and fries in it.  Could use some help, thanks.

Offline Pappymn

« on: March 05, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
I think some of the new AF ovens are the way to go. And don't get a 3.7. too small. I have the Power AF and like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Trying to choose a Air Fryer and way to many options
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
Get a 5 qt or larger  you wont regret-it 

As for brand?    Up to you I like my XL but there are those who don't like them, Tom seems to really like the Delonghi but price kept me from that unit for now.

I do see a Delonghi in the future just not right now

good luck
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
We like our Power Air Fryer XL.....be sure to get the 5.3 quart size
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  Way to many options available.

I'm also trending towards the Delonghi, but the price is holding me back as well (best price I've found is $165 on Amazon).  My logic is buy it once, buy the right unit and keep it (and more importantly - use it).  Counter and storage space is also an issue no matter what unit I buy.

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »
I love my AF XL but I really like the one the one Tom the Horseman uses.
Love to cook and eat

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
You are correct there are a lot of choices, my first was the Power Air Fryer XL, excellent machine but it does have some short comings especially how the two baskets inner and outer connect. Tommy has done a great mod to extend its life. Mine failed, so I went looking and stumbled upon Booger500us on YouTube she is the queen of the air fryer and inspired me to purchase the DeLonghi 1363. It is more versatile then most of the other fryers and is well built. In my opinion it is worth the $60.00 or so dollars. Hope this helps, Good luck!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
lol the chefman 5.5 for 79.00 hard to beat
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline zueth

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
Is this the same model? They don’t recommend it.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »
I ended up with a Breville BOV900BSS for a number of reasons. I like having a Toaster Oven for quick things like frozen Pizza, open faced sandwiches and such. This one just does everything I need. The Airfry produces some great wings and tots, has a setting for bread proofing that I use weekly and also bake with. The preheat time to 420 is like 5 minutes or less. Has 2 convection settings for baking, still playin around with it, but so far I love this thing.
Yes, Breville is a bit spendy, but I have had good longevity with their products.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:10:30 AM »
I also have the Breville BOV900BSS and love it. It has a lot more uses.
Buy once cry once!
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:04 AM »
Is this the same model? They don’t recommend it.

Wow!  If I had read that review before purchasing the Delonghi I wouldn't have purchased it either. There is some merit to this review, like the timer for instance is worthless don't know why they even include it. The stirring wand is easily removed and replaced in a matter of seconds and works well on some things and not so well on others that's why its removable. Take a look at my past video of chicken wings and it shows where it worked well. Scrambled eggs video, didn't work so well.  Temperature setting is easy the numbers 1-4 stand hundreds, 4 is 400 not that big of a deal.  what the review missed is that this unit has two heating elements one under the pot and one above which helps to brown things up faster.  Also a big difference is that the pot is sealed so you can put liquids in it and along with the stirrer you options are open.  Take a look at some of my videos, I'm just an amateur if want to see  a pro use  it go to YouTube and watch Booger500us, she's a pro! 
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents for what it's worth.
I have the Cuisinart air fryer/toaster oven, similar to the Breville but less $$$$.  No regrets.
But let's face it, as many have already stated in other posts any air fryer is nothing more than a miniature convection oven.  the small size makes it a convection oven on steroids.  We've cooked items in our Cuisinart in less time than it would take our oven to preheat.
When I think of my favorite fried foods I think of chicken wings or fish fillets dipped in flour and/or batter and dropped in a deep fryer full of 375* oil.  Try dipping chicken or fish in batter and dropping in any air fryer and you'll have a mess.
Many posts of tater tots, fries, onion rings are nothing more than frozen flash fried foods in a bag that are heated at a high temp to crisp up in a short time.  Results are similar to what you'd get in your oven. 
While air fryers will do chicken justice and result in a good crispy skin without the added fat of frying, the end result can be achieved in a typical oven with a combination of baking and broiling.  But I wouldn't want the mess to clean up afterwards, another advantage of an air fryer.  Fries also come out good, but are best with a spritz of oil on them.  If you're idea of fried foods are those that are dipped and battered then get a deep fryer.  We used to do hush puppies in our deep fryer, don't think they'll work in an air fryer.  We can buy frozen flash fried hush puppies and heat in the air fryer, they'll be crispy and look good, but let's not kid ourselves.  Nothing like home made, house recipe, real fried foods.
We use our Cuisinart air fryer quite often, for the small amount of counter space it takes up it serves quite the purpose, has essentially replaced many functions of the microwave.  Ever had left over pizza, heated it in the microwave and had the rubber crust.?  Do it in the toaster oven and it comes out better than when fresh.  Great for broiling fish fillets, use it for sausage links, hot dogs, even had a leftover deli sandwich I wanted to heat up.  Came out warm with a slight toast crunch to the bread.  Try that in a microwave.
I guess my point is if you really want fried food get a deep fryer, if you want to bake frozen fried food quickly get an air fryer.
If you want a versatile easy to clean addition to your arsenal get one of the Toasters/ ovens/convection ovens/broilers/convection broilers/air fryers.  Either the Cuisinart or the Breville.  Since none truly fry, at least go for the multi-tasking capabilities.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
You make some god points Bob - great post!

I have found that when I want fish filets or chicken tenders - that I have had to change my battering process - to include a good final roll in bread crumbs ( usually Panko...or Italian...) after the battering.

But there are some things that one would be hard pressed to differentiate whether the food item was immersed in oil - or super heated air as well...

The design of the units you and Tom have do seem to be the most practical. I like the multi-purpose aspect of those.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Air fryers have definitely earned their space on the countertop.  I have made some great food in mine.  I think unbreaded chicken wings would have been hard to differentiate. 
The blooming onion I did while good, was still no match for an oil fryer.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4