Author Topic: BASIC SALMON  (Read 14171 times)

Offline Hub

BASIC SALMON
« Reply #-1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:34 AM »
I love this fish, even though it is widely touted for being a healthy food.  It tastes good!  That is, unless, it is overcooked.  Overcooked salmon loses most of its flavor.  So, I don't fix it as often as I'd like because I'm scared I'll overcook it and I've done just that a lot of times.  The other day, though, I got it right.  I could have and will do more to it in the future but first, I had to master the "basics".   If you've had some of the same problems I've had here's one of my "BASIC" approaches for you to play with.   Here's what I cooked up:

Accidentally Wonderful Salmon

Ingredients:

4 Salmon "steaks" about 1-1.5" thick, approximately 6 oz. each
1 Cup soy sauce
1 Cup orange juice
2 Tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Cooking Spray (olive or canola oil recommended)

Place salmon in a baking dish or plastic bag, skin side down.
Mix soy sauce, orange juice, ginger, and garlic, reserve 1/2 cup.
Pour unreserved mixture over salmon and marinate for one to two hours.

Cooking:

I used GrillGrates on my Memphis set to 350 degrees.  This creates a searing temperature at the grids that is much higher but not "beef steak" hot.

Pour off the marinade and spray the skin side of the salmon with a good coat of cooking oil spray

Place steaks on grid, skin side down, for four minutes (turning 45 degrees at 2 minutes if you want pretty marks).  While skin side cooks, baste fleshy side with reserved marinade.

At the 4 minute mark, spray fleshy side lightly with cooking oil spray and carefully turn steaks over.  Grill for 3 minutes (again turning 45 degrees at 1.5 minutes if you want gorgeous marks). Afternote:  Member akjeff has lots of experience with salmon and recommends 135-140 internal temperature as measured with a Thermapen or Maverick PT 100

Remove steaks to serving dish, placing fleshy side up.  Baste with more marinade while still hot.  Serve as soon as possible.

My results (after all these years and messing up a lot of otherwise perfectly good fish) were just what I've been looking for:  Juicy, tender, flaky salmon with just a hint of the marinade ingredients and just a kiss of grilled flavor (thanks to the GrillGrates -- love those things).

Next?  Remember this is one of my "BASIC" recipe/approaches and you and I both can make it better so long as we don't get too far off the tracks.  I'm thinking of a moderately sweet rub before the marinade.  I'm also thinking of a thicker "glaze" following the cook, maybe utilizing some maple syrup (but not too much).  This is a good base for some creativity with some other fish types, too.  Right now I'm just liking cooking salmon more often!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:59:40 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline akjeff

Re: BASIC SALMON
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
That sounds like a great marinade....gotta try that one!

We eat a lot of salmon here, and have the good fortune of being able to eat it fresh out of the water. When we have that luxury, it's nothing but butter, salt, and pepper. But when we start getting into the stash in the deep freeze, we start to doctor it up.

Some good combo's to base a glaze/sauce on are:

Maple syrup and butter.

Bourbon(reduced) and butter.

Most any citrus and olive oil.

Soy and ginger(your combo sounds like a winner!)

The most important thing, you already have figured out. Don't overcook it! I'm vigilant with a Thermapen. No more than 140F, and it doesn't hurt to pull it at 135 or so, if it's going to sit a bit before eating.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
Booked Marked Sir,
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
I've been a plank salmon guy for years, but this recipe looks like good option.  Can't wait till H-T puts their sockeye on sale again.

One question, I've always been hesitant to marinate fish/shellfish too long in anything acidic.  I get worried that the citrus might start pre-cooking the fish, like a ceviche.  I'm assuming that you did not notice that issue.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

The most important thing, you already have figured out. Don't overcook it! I'm vigilant with a Thermapen. No more than 140F, and it doesn't hurt to pull it at 135 or so, if it's going to sit a bit before eating.

Jeff

Thanks for the Thermapen reading, Jeff!  I usually keep mine at hand but since I didn't really have a target and was cooking by feel, guess, and appearance I dived in and ate my handiwork, only to think later, "Why didn't I measure the internal temperature?"  You've filled in the blank.  I'm going to edit your suggestion into the recipe.
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »

One question, I've always been hesitant to marinate fish/shellfish too long in anything acidic.  I get worried that the citrus might start pre-cooking the fish, like a ceviche.  I'm assuming that you did not notice that issue.

BD

I didn't notice any pre-cook impact from the OJ I used.  I only used a half cup, thinned with an equal amount of soy sauce.  I was more worried about saltiness than any other factor.  Good news:  No salt overage and no "ceviche" effect, either.  Just to be safe I don't think I'd marinate for more than two hours, though.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline akjeff

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »

Jeff

Thanks for the Thermapen reading, Jeff!  I usually keep mine at hand but since I didn't really have a target and was cooking by feel, guess, and appearance I dived in and ate my handiwork, only to think later, "Why didn't I measure the internal temperature?"  You've filled in the blank.  I'm going to edit your suggestion into the recipe.

Happy to help, Hub. Looking forward to trying your recipe!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM