Author Topic: Low Carb Chocolate Mousse (Net 6.9g Carbs Per Serving)  (Read 4734 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Low Carb Chocolate Mousse (Net 6.9g Carbs Per Serving)
« Reply #-1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
So, the adventure continues with the low carb desserts.  While there are some low carb puddings out there, I thought I could "Frankenstein" the recipe I used for Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta to create a low carb chocolate mousse using Greek yogurt.

The process is pretty close to my last effort, and the results are definitely better than the puddings I've had.  I used three single serving containers (5.3oz.) of Oikos Triple Zero Chocolate Greek Yogurt as my base, and added a single packet of Knox Powdered Gelatine.  As I didn't have any unsweetened cocoa on hand, I used a teaspoon of Watkin's Cocoa Extract as well.  I incorporated the gelatin into the yogurt, added one quarter cup of Splenda, and let the mixture sit on the counter to bloom for 15 minutes.  At that point, I microwaved the mixture on high in 30 second increments in a microwave, stirring after each thirty seconds; I microwaved for a total of 60 seconds in two increments.  I then incorporated four tablespoons of Fat Free Cool Whip, and whisked it until it was a smooth consistency.

I then poured the mixture into paper cupcake cups to make six servings.  As before, I was limited to six cupcake slots on my pan ... and each cupcake wrapper was full to the brim (easily could have made eight desserts, further reducing the carbs per serving).

I then refrigerated for them 2 hours, and then unmolded the desert upside down on a small plate.  I garnished with Extra Creamy Reddi-Wip (which was included in the nutrional information above. 

Overall, this was quite good, but needed a stronger chocolate flavor than the Cocoa Extract could provide.  I plan to incorporate two tablespoons of Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder in place of the Cocoa Extract next time, and increase the Splenda by 1-2 tablespoons.  Using Jell-O packets made life easier, but not only did I want to avoid the excessive carbs in Sugar Free Jell-O Chocolate Pudding, but I prefer mousse to pudding for chocolate.

It didn't form up as tightly as the faux panna cotta, as I intended; the texture was spot on for mousse ... able to hold it's shape while still seeming airy, with a nice creamy consistency.

Next up, I'm going to toy with the Oikos Triple Zero Salted Caramel Greek Yogurt ...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:09:21 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330