Author Topic: Chili  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Chili
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Looks good to me but, as was said, corn bread would be a nice addition.

The picture of the chili sure looks scrumptious.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »
Aaron

I bet if you got your chili packaged real good you could have someone in GA eating it  :D
You send me some corn Bread and I'll Send yah some chili ;) (JK) My wife makes some really good cornbread with cheese and Jalipenos in it.

Offline RAD

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
Chili looks great.

Question for the Texas guys. If beans are not allowed in chili how do some places like Wendy's make it in Texas? With or without beans? I’ve had it both ways and most times I don’t use beans but that just a mood thing not a rule.

Love to cook and eat

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
Chili looks great.

Question for the Texas guys. If beans are not allowed in chili how do some places like Wendy's make it in Texas? With or without beans? I’ve had it both ways and most times I don’t use beans but that just a mood thing not a rule.
Seriously, I  would not eat chili if it did not have beans in it, That would be like hamburger Chili soup. I respect everyones preferences :-\

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Great looking bowl of chili! Beans may be barred from competition, but they are welcome in my chili bowl! Thanks for the picture!

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »
Chili is supposed to be meaty and topped with onions, cheese, and diced jalapeños. IMHO the beans just get in the way ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Susie-Que

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
I like beans in the chili... I also like Fritos in  the bottom of the bowl.
I use Rotel original in there as well.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
I like beans in the chili... I also like Fritos in  the bottom of the bowl.
I use Rotel original in there as well.

I can go with or without.  but do love frito pie. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:34 AM »
That's a bowl of chili I could wolf down KM!! It looks great, do you have a recipe? Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:47 AM »
That's a bowl of chili I could wolf down KM!! It looks great, do you have a recipe? Smokin Don
Easy Peasy Chili
1-Lb Ground beef 80/20
1-Medium yellow onion
1/2- Green Pepper
1- Can of kidney beans
1-Can of Diced tomatoes
1- Packet of McCormicks chili seasoning
6- Dollups of sour cream
6 - handfuls of grated cheese
6- Green olives stuffed with garlic clove

Cook Hamburger, Onion and green pepper in large pot. Drain grease and Mix in McCormick Chili mix and stir well. Add cans of Tomatoes and Beans, juices and all. Let simmer for atleast 1 hour. Then ladle into a serving bowl, sprinkle with Cheese and give it a dollup of sour cream and toss on an olive. Take a bunch of pictures. Eat chili, do dishes then post best picture on LTBBQ ;) Makes about six servings
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:52:18 AM by Keymaster »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »
I'll back you up Tent Hunter, to me it's not chili unless it has beans in it!  ;D Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline PatioDaddio

Re: Re: Chili
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:54 AM »
I'll back you up Tent Hunter, to me it's not chili unless it has beans in it!  ;D Smokin Don

Amen!

John

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
At the risk of opening a whole new can of beans... I just made my NEXT best batch of "chili" (in quotes out of respect to the purists...  )

This is not a recipe and does not include pictures. The thing is, when I make chili, it varies... depends a bit on what is on hand, a bit on my mood, and mostly my not so good memory...  . The fun part is tasting as it goes, adjusting spices and flavors and seeing where it ends up - at least it's fun for me.

So today I had about 1&1/4# of ground beef that had to be cooked. I also had another 1&1/4# of ground poprk that should probably go in a pot soon. Traditionalists - stop reading now - fair warning.

I diced (very small) some onion and celery - about 1/2 cup of each. Another 1/2 cup of a fine diced green pepper (was a chunk that needed to be used.) The holy trinity. Tossed with a couple cloves of miced garlic in a med hot pan with some olive oil and kosher salt for a sweat. Pulled and put in the slow cooker.

Put the beef in the pan and browned with some salt and pepper. As it browned I added some chili powder (hot & mild) - I get my spices mail order from The Spice House in Milwaukee, WI. They are excellent. Added some of their various hot and mild dried peppers. The - I added a package of McKormick's chili seasoning. Why? I have found their blend to be a very nice addition to my other spices... not enough on their own but a nice addition.

Took the beef from the pan with a slotted spoon and added to the slow cooker. Put the pan back on the burner and added the pork. While the pork cooked I added a 15oz can of diced tomatoes (I like Hunts) and an 8oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes. Another 8oz can of tomatoe sauce and a can of water to rinse the can. Two cans of drained and rinsed kidney beans (I warned you to stop reading...) All added to the slow cooker.

Now added the pork. Mix it all up - take the first taste for seasoning - always needs more of the chili powders and dried chilis...

Cook on high for a couple hours and then turn down to low. I should NOT open the cooker while it is going, but I have to try a small bowl at about 3 hours... Dang it is good! A bit too sweet yet, will need to adjust the heat in a few hours, but it is coming together.

I know this is NOT Texas or competition chili - but dang, it has hot, sweet, front heat, back heat, all the stuff, and it is good. The onliest problem - once again, I have not really written down how much of anything I used...

For me, chili is a fun and unique experience everytime I make it.

David
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:01:43 AM by drholly »
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »
Just took another taste / sample... Decided it need a bit of a different heat. There is hot / spicy and hot - don't know the right word. But in my mind it meant cinnamon. So I added a couple / few tsps - grated from a stick - didn't measure - just looked right... lol...

Stirred it in and gave a few mintes to start to blend. While way too early, I tried a couple spoons anyway. Yep - on the right track. While I can still taste the cinnamon (it was very quick) I can also sense the way it will blend. It will be right.

The other thing I know - at the end of the cook I will need some acid. I have found (especially in "mexican" dishes) I need some acid at the end of the cook or flavors tend to get muddy. A quick squirt of fresh lime juice can make a huge difference. While right now the flavors are semi-balanced and distinct, I can feel the darker flavors starting to build. A squirt of the lime right before the finish can help add the brightness and let the flavors seperate... at least that's how it makes sense to me.

Cheers,

David
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »
Read both your last two post David and amazing. My wife pulled my arm back as i was grabbing the coco powder out of the cupboard when making my chili. But it needed it ;)