Author Topic: Wings In the PBC kinda  (Read 9038 times)

Offline RAD

Re: Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Can I get a good deal on a slightly used PBC?
Love to cook and eat

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
Ok, if I had known the cooks were preformed at a wind chill of -35F I'd expressed the fact that this cooker is NOT made to cook in those extremes. A cooker without insulation in those extremes can't reach cooking temps.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Ok, if I had known the cooks were preformed at a wind chill of -35F I'd expressed the fact that this cooker is NOT made to cook in those extremes. A cooker without insulation in those extremes can't reach cooking temps.

Even I don't try to cook outside when it's THAT cold. And (ask my kids) I am pretty silly when it comes to cooking outside... just sayin'...  :P

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:13 PM »
I hope everyone read the pm I sent and I was really trying to be careful to respect the fact that someone was disappointed with their purchase! i also had problems with the PBC that were my fault and I contacted Noah and I got myself squared away. I have had numerous problems with some other pits that I own or used to own. Probably are mostly caused by me!! I feel bad that a member felt that he/she was harassed!! That was not my intentions at all.

I take being a moderator very seriously and do not take any joy in having to "flex my muscles". I also take very seriously our relationships with our Forum sponsors and of course all of you!! You are like my extended BBQ family and I really hope that you all feel  what I was doing was fair and helpful to a newer member that was obviously unhappy with his purchase.

I hope he gets his equipment straightened out and he will come back on here and join us and just "Talk BBQ"  :)

Smoke
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »
I hope everyone read the pm I sent and I was really trying to be careful to respect the fact that someone was disappointed with their purchase! i also had problems with the PBC that were my fault and I contacted Noah and I got myself squared away. I have had numerous problems with some other pits that I own or used to own. Probably are mostly caused by me!! I feel bad that a member felt that he/she was harassed!! That was not my intentions at all.

I take being a moderator very seriously and do not take any joy in having to "flex my muscles". I also take very seriously our relationships with our Forum sponsors and of course all of you!! You are like my extended BBQ family and I really hope that you all feel  what I was doing was fair and helpful to a newer member that was obviously unhappy with his purchase.

I hope he gets his equipment straightened out and he will come back on here and join us and just "Talk BBQ"  :)

Smoke

Hey Smoke,

I took your comments in the way they were meant. I have had nothing but positive encounters with Noah and Amber at PBC. I also understand the typical "frustration" that a user might feel and the desire to "lash out". Early on you made it very clear that PBC was a unique company - dedicated to making EVERYONE of their customers satisfied. Each question I've put to them was answered patiently (given my lack of experience) and completely. I have had a chance to talk with both Amber and Noah on the phone and in every case they were gracious and helpful.

I suspect each of us has had an opportunity to deal with companies that are 180* different. And I also suspect these experiences shape our expectations when we have a problem with the next device or company. I know for myself this is exacerbated later in the evening... just sayin'...  ::)

My experience with the PBC company is entirely different.

I know what it is like to be disappointed with a purchase - we all do. All I can say (from my personal experience) is that PBC is unique. I sincerely hope smokendevon will give them a chance. I am confident he will be happy with the result.

My ONLY comment re: your response is the exclamation points. As a friend, let me say they were a bit over the top - two at a time indicates a more strident tone than I think you intended. Just my observation. I have looked back at many of your posts and I realize this is your "style". I have no problem. But, maybe others who do not "know" you might. Just a thought.

Cheers,

David
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:09:04 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 01:59:11 AM »
my first PBC had a problem w/ it.  i called noah & amber about the problem after the 1st week of owning it.  the 2nd week i had a new PBC w/ instructions on how to send the other one back.  i was having problems w/ fed ex coming to pick the old one up.  i called amber.  amber then called fed ex for me.  problem solved, fed ex was at my house the next day to get the old one.  i, myself love my PBC.  i also love the ppl running the company.  they have been nothing but fair to me and all my requests.  1st rate company in my opinion.  my daughter is getting married this summer.  guess what shes getting for a wedding present.   ::)

i also got a few problems w/ the above post.  1st off.  i never get pm'ed   :'(.  2nd i never get harassed either   :'(.    smoke, send pics of you flexing your muscles for my garage wall.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
At -35 degrees NOTHING will work as designed.

Good job, Smoke  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »

Smoke

Hey Smoke,

I took your comments in the way they were meant. I have had nothing but positive encounters with Noah and Amber at PBC. I also understand the typical "frustration" that a user might feel and the desire to "lash out". Early on you made it very clear that PBC was a unique company - dedicated to making EVERYONE of their customers satisfied. Each question I've put to them was answered patiently (given my lack of experience) and completely. I have had a chance to talk with both Amber and Noah on the phone and in every case they were gracious and helpful.

I suspect each of us has had an opportunity to deal with companies that are 180* different. And I also suspect these experiences shape our expectations when we have a problem with the next device or company. I know for myself this is exacerbated later in the evening... just sayin'...  ::)

My experience with the PBC company is entirely different.

I know what it is like to be disappointed with a purchase - we all do. All I can say (from my personal experience) is that PBC is unique. I sincerely hope smokendevon will give them a chance. I am confident he will be happy with the result.

My ONLY comment re: your response is the exclamation points. As a friend, let me say they were a bit over the top - two at a time indicates a more strident tone than I think you intended. Just my observation. I have looked back at many of your posts and I realize this is your "style". I have no problem. But, maybe others who do not "know" you might. Just a thought.

Cheers,

David

I will try to cut down on the exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D  Seriously though, I have never really gave much thoughts to how I use them.....Thanks David
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
my first PBC had a problem w/ it.  i called noah & amber about the problem after the 1st week of owning it.  the 2nd week i had a new PBC w/ instructions on how to send the other one back.  i was having problems w/ fed ex coming to pick the old one up.  i called amber.  amber then called fed ex for me.  problem solved, fed ex was at my house the next day to get the old one.  i, myself love my PBC.  i also love the ppl running the company.  they have been nothing but fair to me and all my requests.  1st rate company in my opinion.  my daughter is getting married this summer.  guess what shes getting for a wedding present.   ::)

i also got a few problems w/ the above post.  1st off.  i never get pm'ed   :'(.  2nd i never get harassed either   :'(.    smoke, send pics of you flexing your muscles for my garage wall.   :P

sent you a pm  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
Well my hope is that Devo will reconsider and stay. I consider him a very valuable member to this forum and hope that he get's his PBC woes fixed.

I think Devo was sincere in his complaint. Don't think he meant to step on anyone's toes. Maybe if he started using it in the summertime he would feel different about this cooker. Maybe a welding blanket would be helpful in his case because of the extreme temps he gets.

I agree that his chicken was too high in the cooker. I believe if they are almost at level with the reed bar you will lose much heat because that technically is where the cooker vents are located. Also increasing the amount of air for the coals could be helpful.

The PBC from my experience ranges at temps from 290F to 310F at the rack level pretty consistently. The big easy and SRG get much higher in temps than that so they will really crisp up chicken in short order.

I know that Noah and Amber will take care of him and get it figured out. Maybe a custom welding blanket design is in order for extremely cold areas like where Devo is at ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
here's how they do legs & wings in a BGE with their leg rack
it would work the same with the rack in the PBC
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144305/game-day-menu-hanging-wings-and-legs

King of the OldSmokey

Offline CaptJack

King of the OldSmokey

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Devo, I hope you reconsider your decision and come back to us, as it would be a real shame if you didn't. I would think that any sort of pit at -35 degrees would have major challenges to work normally. Having said that, you should call Noah and Amber up and let them know about your situation. Being able to talk to someone on the phone makes a world of difference.  Just my 2 cents.

Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline Phil LaMarche

• W9DVM
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
I use !!!!!!! all the time and it is the Brand for Instant Gourmet Spices ! I too hope he comes back.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
I encourage all that feel inclined to e-mail smokindevo and ask him to not feel like he is the enemy. Everybody has a bad day and we all have some frustrations that we could have expressed differently....

We do value all members and want to let him know no hard feelings on our part and wish for the same from him. He is completely welcome to return and this will not ever be brought up again. We just need to move forward.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401