Author Topic: Smoke management  (Read 485 times)

Offline lanman1

Smoke management
« Reply #-1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
Ok, here's a new topic, I just moved to neighborhood on a small lot and need to keep from getting pig grease everywhere.  I used to just walk back to the woods and clean everything back there but i can't do that anymore.  What do you guys (and gals) do?  I'm looking for good ideas to keep from staining concrete and decks and tacking in pig soot onto the carpets.....

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:22:11 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking mess management
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
Well, I used to have a pit that leaked a bit and I used and automotive drip pan (like the ones we used to used when we could change the oil in our trucks).
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
I don't know about other smokers but with my Traeger pellet smoker it is easy to keep a clean area. It does not leak. I foil my drip pan and all the grease runs into a small bucket. I usually clean after every cook in the summer and after 2 or 3 in the winter. I clean my grate with wadded up foil, works better than a brush to me. I clean it right in the smoker so and charred bits fall on the dirty drip pan. I remove the drip pan and just fold up the foil and all the mess and throw away. I remove the heat shield and vacuum out all the ash. My barrel is pretty clean, free of grease. I never cook without the drip pan like some do. In the spring I will scrape all down and it will be good for another year. Some foil their drip bucket but I don't, I just empty before it runs over into a 2 gallon wide mouth plastic jug. When it gets full I take to Sandman's carry out and dump in his large grease bin. I local recycler buys the used grease and oil from him.
One reason I like my pellet smoker is the ease of keeping clean. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
Would not putting foil with salt or sand on it as a catch basin work.  It would be easy to dispose of.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers