Author Topic: Turkey Fryer aka Seafood Boiler  (Read 2906 times)

Barry CB Martin

Turkey Fryer aka Seafood Boiler
« Reply #-1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Anyone have the Cajun Injector? I'm looking at getting a unit with some substance that we can take to the beach and/or camping that fits in the back of my rig and is quality. Mostly boiling seawater for Dungeness Crabs - and lower level oil for frying chicken, etc....not full on Turkey frying.  This one looks good and I believe I've heard it mentioned before. If it gets good marks from all y'all then I'll shop for better prices.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1264920&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D847469%26productVariantId%3D1663241%26WT.tsrc%3DCSE%26WT.mc_id%3DGoogleProductAds%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D03048327%26rid%3D40%26channel%3DGoogleBaseUSA%26mr%3AtrackingCode%3D1BB05126-6CF4-E111-BA78-001B21631C34%26mr%3AreferralID%3DNA%26mr%3AadType%3Dpla%26mr%3Aad%3D25988358071%26mr%3Akeyword%3D%26mr%3Amatch%3D%26mr%3Afilter%3D52255417991%26gclid%3DCO2ZyKeGjbYCFSRxQgodNRQABQ&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-550104

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:11:01 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Hub

Re: Turkey Fryer aka Seafood Boiler
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
This is an excellent, multi-tasking pot.  I'd have trouble finding any fault with it.  The stand/burner arrangement will probably be like the ones I've had -- cooking at low temps, in the wind, you'll have to wrap foil around it or the flame will keep going out.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
That should do a good job for you Barry, I have probably 4 or 5 burners and probably that many stock pots. A couple of things. I had a burner with the automatic timer on it and did not like it so I wound up taking the timer off. The drain on the pot is a nice feature, especially for emptying oil if you are frying, not needed as much for boiling or steaming. I am not sure why the basket is so short, the ones I have are almost as deep as the pot. I prefer stainless steel stock pots to aluminum, I have a 30qt and a 60qt one and am looking at getting another 30qt pot.

If you want an aluminum pot, look at this combo from Academy Sports. It has a 30qt pot with the basket, the turkey holder and a 10qt pot with basket for frying fish. It also has a trivet to put in the bottom of the 30qt pot to hold the basket up off the bottom to for steaming.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27717_-1__?N=80754978&Ntt=combo+pot&Ntk=All

Edit - this is for the pot combo only, not sure why the second picture shows a burner. They need to add a disclaimer. Academy does have burner pot combos at good prices but none of their pots have the drain.

One other small thing. When I had my motorhome I preferred to use a burner with 3 legs instead of 4 because it would sit steadier. You don't want a hot pot wobbling even a little bit if the surface you have it sitting on is not completely level.

I almost burned the house down the first time I fried a turkey.  I am not allowed to do that anymore which is why I bought The Big Easy, but I do often boil and steam seafood. These burners also work great with cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and I have a couple of 14 inch round cast iron griddles that work well on them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:02:06 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
Cabelas does not state the btu's of the burner. COSTCO has a camp chef  2  burner stove with 2 -30,000 btu burners with a grill and accessories which is very versatile just get a big pot for it. Its $139. Thats would be my choice.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Cabelas does not state the btu's of the burner. COSTCO has a camp chef  2  burner stove with 2 -30,000 btu burners with a grill and accessories which is very versatile just get a big pot for it. Its $139. Thats would be my choice.

The high pressure burners on turkey fryers are typically 58k btu's, the low pressure burners on stoves like CampChef are 30k btu. They do fine with low boils and steaming, it just takes it a very few more minutes to come up to temp. I have a 3 burner CampChef on my back deck that I do all my low boils on and it does fine.

Academy (I hate to keep plugging them, hey I work there so I know what they sell) has this stove for $119. I used the CampChef because the picture on the Academy website is of an Expedition stove and not the Weekender. I bought a Weekender for my son and for my stepson and they love them. It is much more portable than my 3 burner. This stove can be used as a tabletop stove or with the legs. That will make it much easier for a guy your height to use than a turkey fryer burner.

http://www.campchef.com/stoves/two-burner-stoves/weekender-2-burner-tabletop-stove.html

Barry, a CampChef stove and the accessories that go with them will handle any camping cooking needs you should have. It is a very modular cooking system. They even have a grill box for it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:27:56 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »
good points and comments

• BTU checking of course - burner set up as to use with cast iron skillet is a consideration
  • A stand up camp stove is generally too big for the portability issue and the height is always an issue for me - but will review because you make a good point.
  • I too prefer stainless steel but the price:use matrix doesn't necessarily make $ense.

Trying to keep everything I recommend as a buy for under $100 and if I have to go over, then something else on the "outdoor kitchen" list has to come under that amount. Thus far I have the following units in my recommended list:

Big Easy MSRP $99 Retailer Price: $69
Weber Jumbo Joe  MSRP $59
G2G 200X MSRP $149
Cajun Injector Turkey Fryer Kit MSRP $119.99 Retailer Price: $93.49

Total for 4 cookers is $371 This group makes for a swinging outdoor kitchen that is versatile (each of these is multi-tasking) portable and affordable.  A family could purchase these and get solid performance out of them on a reasonable budget of $100 a quarter over the course of a year.  Frankly when I look at that line-up I think it's a better deal than most grills selling for $400-$500 and if one "goes down" the entire kitchen is not lost.