Author Topic: Backyard Bird Watching & Photography  (Read 8492 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Backyard Bird Watching & Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »
Beautifully composed and love the bokeh! You have a great eye!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »
Don,  Thank you so much for sharin your love of nature and photography with us.  One of the amazing things about this forum and a few others is the passion for a variety of things people bring to the rest of us.

I would like for all who have great photos such as those shown by Don and David to bring them to the Gathering to share with those who are able to attend.  David, aka DRholly, has spent quite a bit of time in Central and South America with his family and camera and he has graciously said he will share his experiences with us there.  Any of you others who have hobbies, experiences, or exfpertise and plan on attending, please share those with us. Please let me know so I can make any arrangements you need and we also we make a semi-schedule so we can get it all it.  By the way, the Gathering is only five months away from last week.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »
You never know what you might see in my backyard!

Over the 40 years we have lived here I have fed the birds and squirrels. For a couple of years I had two squirrels that would take peanuts from me. I have seen probably two dozen different species of birds. Two I feed are Gold finches and Hummingbirds. I have seen rabbits, opossums and raccoons. Three springs in a row a doe rabbit had litters in a half a whiskey barrel I had for flowers right outside my back door. Surprisingly my Dalmatian left them alone. I never saw any deer but several winters I have seen tracks in my yard.

In 2005 I had to put my Dalmatian to sleep, the hardest thing I ever had to do. I had her cremated and buried in my backyard. Before the year was over I got a cock-a-poo from the humane soc. She loves to chase squirrels so I quit feeding them. One time he had a hold of a squirrel and it had a hold of him. I got them apart; the squirrel had drawn blood on him. He still chases them but don’t think he wants to catch them!

My dog has killed two opossums and been under the shed with one twice. I had a hard time getting him to come out. One night when I let him out he was in a fight with a young raccoon.

For the last 7 or eight years our vacations have been to visit the kids. My wife was on to me about going somewhere different. I said just sit out and you’ll be surprised at all the wild animals you will see in the backyard! She only sits out some in the spring and fall when there are no bugs! The very next day I looked out and there was a female Mallard duck there. I hollered at my wife and said get out here you have to see this!  It walked around awhile and I did get a picture of it before it flew away.

This morning I looked out and knew she would never believe me so I took this photo to show her. Here was a Moose, leisurely taking a bath in my backyard! I was surprised it was not drinking a Moose Head or Buck Naked Beer! Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
I like the way you captured him looking at you out of the corner of his eyes - nice shot!  ;) ;D

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
For a while I had a pair of Red Shoulder Hawks that were getting too comfortable living with us  :o

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »
Nice post Rumm, I like your quail bait!!! Good hawk photos! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
Great post Rummm - nice shots. Love the quail trail.

David
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »
I saw my first hummer here in Wapakoneta, OH yesterday May 9th.

My cousin in Dayton, about 50 miles south of here saw her fist one about a week ago so I had three small feeders out for them. It was a male, they come first and scout out an area to claim, then the females arrive a few weeks later. The male will usually mate with two or three females. He will let the ones he mated with feed but will chase all other ones away. He perches near by during the day and guards his area. I saw one twice yesterday.

This morning while setting out I saw one four times so I got one of my larger feeders out that had a perch. It wasn't long until one came and set on the perch and fed, he then hit two other feeders and left. Early I never know if it's the same male or not since some will just stop in to feed and head on north. Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
No Hummers here....but, we do have Painted Buntings and the males are just as elusive as the male Hummingbirds it appears. This is the best I could get of the males. Hard to see, but the females are worse, they are just a dull green. The females will go to the feeder and the males show up a few minutes later, chasing off the females and any other bird there!!! Except for the stupid Grackles :(

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Thanks Don for the beautiful portraits.
Sweetie and I enjoy the beauty of them.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
Rumm you have some beautiful birds to watch! I looked up the Painted Buntings and they are colorful! It said they are very shy!
I got a new upside down thistle feeder for my goldfinch; I was getting too many sparrows on the sock feeder. My goldfinches for some reason don't go to it yet. But I got some new birds Pine Siskins on it, I have seen at least six. They are migratory and their range is sporadic so don't know if I have always had them or not. They are slightly smaller than gold finches, same color on the wings, light brown head and belly is white w/brown streaking. If I get some good sunny weather I will try to get some good shots of them. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
Some pics of the Pine Siskins. I forgot to mention the Pine Siskins are a member of the finch family. They can eat well hanging upside down like the Gold finches. The House and Purple finches I have do not eat upside down. Not the best photos, it was windy and partly cloudy but they show the colors of the bird. The thin yellow stripe on their wings is hard to see.

Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Great shots.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
People like y'all with your beautiful pictures are really showing nature's beauty and I for one really appreciate it. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers