Author Topic: Tri Cut Trisket Question  (Read 868 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Tri Cut Trisket Question
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
In laws are coming for dinner this weekend ... I want to try a tri tip. BUT - father in-law and others won't eat meat with any red showing. He asks for prime rib well done!  ???

So, I am thinking trisket. What do you say? I'd like to do it on the PBC, but open to other cookers (I have a bunch - just ask SWMBO.)

What do you say?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Tri Cut Trisket Question
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
In laws are coming for dinner this weekend ... I want to try a tri tip. BUT - father in-law and others won't eat meat with any red showing. He asks for prime rib well done!  ???

So, I am thinking trisket. What do you say? I'd like to do it on the PBC, but open to other cookers (I have a bunch - just ask SWMBO.)

What do you say?
David, I did a Tri-Tip in my SRG while camping (with muebe's help) and everyone loved it even Kimmie was happy.

I rubbed it with gunpowder and cooked it on high til an IT of 140 then turned it to low and took it to 165 it was wonderful

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:55:26 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
Put in the PBC on the rack until IT is 150F. Then pull and foil. Put back in until the IT is 200F. Let rest in foil for an hour. Then slice across the grain.

What to season it with? Well that s your call ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
He asks for prime rib well done! 
See...that is an issue that may be a tough compromise around here. But - I finally got the Mrs. converted away from "burnt rawhide" steaks to medium rare/medium.

( Are you sure you want to take on a challenge like that? :D...I sense some underlying problems that should be addressed before feeding him shoe leather ;) :D )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
He asks for prime rib well done! 
See...that is an issue that may be a tough compromise around here. But - I finally got the Mrs. converted away from "burnt rawhide" steaks to medium rare/medium.

( Are you sure you want to take on a challenge like that? :D...I sense some underlying problems that should be addressed before feeding him shoe leather ;) :D )

I've been married to his daughter for 19 years. I was his VP for 5 years prior to that. I am well used to his eating habits. We'd go to dinner and he always put his veg on my plate. I have long since stopped comparing his steaks to shoe leather. I've even learned to stop cringing at nice steak places when he orders his well done!  ???

Happily my wife and youngest daughter know how to properly order a steak (rare or medium rare...  ;D) The oldest is having some independence issues and asks for medium well... but, she is an excellent softball player...  ;D

So, I need to cook a hunk of meat that we ALL can enjoy - that's why I thought of the trisket.

If that's not the right choice, I'll go back to individual steaks - a few good ones and a couple wrecked!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »
I think the trisket is a great idea to deal with folks who won't allow for any read showing.  My only concern is whether you are going to have enough meat (not sure how many folks you will be serving since you said "and others").  Either 2 tri-tips or maybe a brisket if you are going to need more than a 2-2.5 lb piece of meat.  You can always save leftovers, but you can't whip up 200 degrees internal in a hurry.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
I think the trisket is a great idea to deal with folks who won't allow for any read showing.  My only concern is whether you are going to have enough meat (not sure how many folks you will be serving since you said "and others").  Either 2 tri-tips or maybe a brisket if you are going to need more than a 2-2.5 lb piece of meat.  You can always save leftovers, but you can't whip up 200 degrees internal in a hurry.  ;)

Excellent point - I'm thinking two tri-tips as well. Maybe some ground brisquit for burgers as well.
Member #