Author Topic: Flat iron steak street tacos  (Read 2231 times)

Offline pz

Flat iron steak street tacos
« Reply #-1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
My wife and I love the dollar tacos you can purchase from the Mexican taco trucks - we'll always stop at one of those if we see on at mealtime.

Today we were shopping in the local Fred Meyer, and my sweetie came up to me with a fantastic looking flat iron steak.  Perfect - we haven't had breakfast or lunch, and this would make a perfect "linner".  My wife wanted a fajita style experience so I cut red and green peppers plus onion to sautee on the griddle.  Me- I'm just after the steak  ;D

Click to zoom, click again to dismiss

I was at a locak sporting goods store called Blacksheep, and found this Lodge cast iron griddle, which immediately caught my eye. Nothing cooks like cast iron.  Here I've blended red and green peppers, plux onion with salt and a little olive oil

Once the sizzling started, I covered it with a pot lid to capture the steam so the vegetables softened.

The vegetable medley is cooking nicely

To ensure the development of the desired brown crust on the steak, I place it on a paper plate and then pat the top dry - paper on both sides ensures dry surfaces, which are essential to develop the brown crust that my wife loves

Sprinkled liberally with kosher salt, I look for the salt melting as the key to turn the meat.  I do not add pepper because I usually sear at a high temperature which tends to burn the pepper, or at least causes the desired pungent volatiles in the pepper to burn off.  Once the steak is turned, it is liberally seasoned with salt and pepper

The griddle is on two burners, and the one closest to the front is turned off so the vegetables can be keept warm while the steak is searing

After letting the meat rest, slicing it thin gives the steak that perfect bite

The finished product: a little raw cabbage on the corn tortilla for crisp texture, topped with the warm, juicy steak, and a liberal helping of crumbled queso fresco.  Tabasco chipotle (my favorite general use hot sauce) completes the taco.  ... oh yes, can't forget the beer  ;)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Flat iron steak street tacos
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
That sure does look good. 

Tee and his lovely wife came over for dinner tonight.  I cooked some tacos al carbon, using some great flour tortillas Tee and I bought on our hunting trip last December.  Tee took pictures and is supposed to be posting them at some point.  This was not a unicorn meal.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Flat iron steak street tacos
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »
Oh that looks good! Nice job
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
Thanks guys; totally impromptu with little to no planning.  Sometimes those make the most memorable meals

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
I like the way you cook. Too many add stuff to the meat that just burns. Salt is a rock - it won't burn. But the rest needs to be added after the flip. Looks fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
Plate me please  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
Nicely done meal pz!  8)  And nice score on that griddle. What did it cost, If I may ask?
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
I like the way you cook. Too many add stuff to the meat that just burns. Salt is a rock - it won't burn. But the rest needs to be added after the flip. Looks fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.

From reading quite a few posts you've made, it looks like we do have somewhat similar likes in cooking  ;)

Plate me please  :P :P

Anytime you're in my area, give me a buzz  ;)

Nicely done meal pz!  8)  And nice score on that griddle. What did it cost, If I may ask?

$54.99 - weighs about 10-15 pounds, and is reversible - grill mark griddle on the reverse side.  This will last me for the rest of my life, so the purchase price is chump change when I consider the many years I (and my sons after me) will get from this iron piece.

About 14 years ago I purchased my first cast iron Lodge as a present to myself after a divorce - I didn't know anything about cast iron, so I started cooking bacon in the pan for quite a while until it was pitch black, and was as non-stick as the most expensive Teflon you can purchase.  From that point I was hooked on cast iron, but in my opinion, I would only purchase USA in the form of Lodge - the Chinese product is thin and feels poor quality.

When I went into the sporting goods store and saw the griddle, I was as giddy as a school-kid - took measurements, then went home and lo-and-behold- it fit absolutely perfectly over the two-burner part of my grill, and now I have what I feel is a true heirloom that I can pass to my kids (they'll need to fight over the different cast iron pieces  ;D ).

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
Any time, muebe!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

I love cast iron - you are right, treat it right and it IS the best non-stick pan you can find. My favorite cast iron pan is a Lodge about 17 or 18" wide and weighs about 500 pounds! It is perfect for frying home made tacos, fish, and anything else. I've added a couple of pictures of tacos in the Lodge pan. A few years ago I found something called mineral iron - it is like cast iron, but not quite as heavy and not black. It looks like stainless. But you need to treat it like cast iron - seasoning and cleaning. The biggest advantage is it comes in shapes that cast iron doesn't - skillets, pans, etc. I love it. Still not expensive, and you need to treat it right. But, wonderful to cook with. Some examples - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=De%20Buyer&node=1055398

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:23:41 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:39 AM »
Thanks for the link, David; I'm always looking for something special that I can add to my cooking utensil collection.  ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »
That does look super!!! I like all your cooking equipment! Nice cook, I like cast iron too and now my favorite skillets are a Lodge carbon steel 10" and 12". For me they do just as good as cast iron and a little lighter to handle. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »
Looks good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66